8/24/07 REPORTS: KS, MO, IL, IN, MI, TX

I started out the day, hoping other storms would interact with boundaries like the Brown/Atchison county tornado in NE KS, and was about 20 m north of Mound City when that storm died. So I raced back north, taking shortcuts around traffic and hoping the one heading into the North KC metro would (could see it was getting close to it) produce. I got on the storm east of KC somewhere and followed it forever. It had a nice shelf cloud on it, and as the storm weakened, the shelf cloud looked better and better.

I forgot my tripod and 10 mm lens at home, which I would have given anything for. I leaned my camera up against my car and tried to hold it at a 15-30 degree angle for anywhere up to 3-8 seconds at 800 ISO. Most didn't come out so well, but a few did. Twice yesterday, I happened to hit the shutter at the perfect time and got CG's, this one, almost halfway into it, any closer and everything would have been blown out (though I got excited and had a little camera shake). The other, in broad daylight as I was driving testing out the metering on the sky.
Not a bad night, the structure was great for such a crap storm.

ekc4web.jpg

ekc2web.jpg

Lightning on this one illuminated all of the details perfectly.

ekc1web.jpg

Dick, that is one of the more impressive shelf clouds I've seen on Stormtrack this year!

I had an easy chase today, never getting more than 15 miles from home, but interecepting a rather pretty, somewhat HP-ish severe storm near Bethalto, IL:

chase82407-4.jpg

Just as I started to videotape the storm, I was startled by a CG within about a half mile, right in front of me between my position and the lowered area, which I managed to get on video. Full report, with more pics and video here:

http://www.johnefarley.com/chase82407.htm

Back