8/14/05 REPORT: Northeastern US

Chasing in Massachusetts is a rare event but we were able to get out yesterday in a slight risk situation and on a number of svr warned storms. With the temp in Arlington at 93 with dewpoints in the 70's when we left, an air conditioned car seemed like a good thing no matter what. My target was Springfield, MA and we headed out around 1 pm, with a storm rolling over us as we left home outside of Boston. Stupidly, I left my connector for the cell phone at home so I couldn't check radar myself but buddy Dean Cosgrove provided great nowcasting throughout the day and evening. Chasing mainly on the Mass. Turnpike (yeah, it's a different world here) and I91, with a loop on back roads into SW Mass before dark, we were able to catch some nice isolated cells with decent structure, great CG, fantastic mist coming off the trees and ground when we weren't stuck in traffic, punched a couple of cores and generally had a nice day out. Finding viewing spots was the most difficult part since Massachusetts should be known as the "Can't see anything for the trees" state. The report below sent to us by Dean says it all.

AT 249 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO INDICATE A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING GOLF BALL SIZE HAIL...AND DESTRUCTIVE WINDS IN EXCESS OF 70 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR LUDLOW...OR ABOUT NEAR CHICOPEE...MOVING EAST AT 15 MPH. TREES WERE REPORTED IN WEST SPRINGFIELD AT 237 PM. QUARTER SIZE HAIL WAS REPORTED IN SPRINGFIELD AT 250 PM. THIS IS A DANGEROUS STORM.

Flooding and a few trees down from straight line winds, with a few reports of hail from spotters, was the upshot of the storms. This is NOT the midwest. Can't wait to get back out there.

Back