8/12/06 REPORTS : SD *rescued post*

**rescued post**

Mike Hollingshead

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:23 pm Post subject: 8/12/06 REPORTS : SD
06-8-12-7556.jpg

This wasn't the kind of day I was hoping for, but this little VERY electrified storm after sunset helped. It was somewhere around Parkston SD south of Mitchell. It was easily the most illuminated thing I've seen all year. Problem was most of the bolts weren't bright enough or long enough in duration to capture. There were however some rather insane "super bolts" happening from time to time, but not at all frequently. Trying to catch the main scene really killed the shot when one of those would happen(I'd be ISO 200 at F4 for the faint stuff and storm structure then bam a bright as hell one).

06-8-12-7569.jpg

Not one of the super bolts but one of the rare anvil crawlers that would show up.

06-8-12-7580.jpg

This was one of the super bolts(stupid name for them but it's all I could come up with). This shot was only 3 seconds long so note how the bolt at the ground and up in the anvil are captured ok, but the area of the cloud blew WAY out. I mention only 3 seconds because that area did not blow out from too many flashes there, but from the amazingly bright and branched nature of the bolts in that area. Each time they would happen it would pretty much blind me for a second.

06-8-12-7585.jpg

I was a little closer at getting one captured right, but still it blew it out. If I were to actually stop it down far enough to get that middle portion right I am pretty sure the above and below portions would be pretty invisible. During this I was having a hell of a time getting out of sprinkles for any length of time. The storm was now moving east and the anvil precip was catching me within a minute of pulling over. It was very annoying trying to shoot this scene as those super bright bolts were very infrequent and the others were very short duration and hidden in rain. I'd go back to shooting for the faint, quicker stuff and as soon as I'd do so, BAM a big bright super bolt. Then a second later sprinkles again.....argh.

Loop of this small storm http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/rad...r=black&endDate=20060813&endTime=3&duration=2

It is the small storm at the end of the line which tries to stop moving and turn right during this. I imagine it was a borderline supercell at times.

A few more images here: http://www.extremeinstability.com/06-8-12.htm

Jeff Snyder

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:16 pm
Post subject: I'm posting this here since I've deleted two posts in the past 1 hour for the same reason...

Even though Tim hasn't stickied the rules to the top of this forum yet, please remember that REPORTS threads are only for first-hand chase reports! I can understand if a new member posted a "Good shots!"-type of post in a REPORTS thread, but the two I dealt with just now were from relatively long-time members. I think the majority of us remember the old rules, so let's continue to do what we can to remain compliant.

Thanks!

[This is NOT in response to Mike's / this thread, which is perfectly fine. The posts I mention above were in response Mike's pictures/post.]
http://www.tornadocentral.com

Scott Olson

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:12 pm
Post subject: Chased with Pete McConnel. I must have got into Watertown around 1:30. I knew something was wrong when they was already ACCAS forming on the WF and cells were starting a large low reflectivity precipitation area had formed across the CF. By 2, the outflow boundary started firing storms. In a great conincidence, just to the west the WF started firing as well, as well as the cold frontal storms. The OFB storms rushed into NE SD in advance of the approaching WF storms. The WF storms weakend. By 3:30 even the cold front intiated thunderstorms had weakend and become linear. Cloud cover from both mechanisms had socked the area making it nearly impossible to tap low level instabilities (or as in the case in NE SD, stabilizing the area). Not to mention the mid-level winds oriented nearly parallel to the front (which wasn't supposed to be a problem).

Decided to book south to where heating was taking place. Chased a couple linear severe storms down highway 25. Towards 6:00 the cells did start taking some decent (still linear) structure. The shelf was deep, long and had a single line on top running in unison. The winds were fairly strong & rain was quite copious. We got into De Smet, SD & decided to intercept a cell near Kanova, SD (about 25mi SW of Madison). It took us about 40 minutes but we did get there prior to nightfall. I stepped out of my car, while the storm structure wasn't to defined, the thunder was constant like the wind. It just sounded like a jet engine & at no point in our 10-15 minutes was there ever a single millisecond of a break to this sound. Once it got close we headed north and then let it overtake us as the sun went down. After this we re-emerged, headed west and stopped to take lightning pictures several times.

The storm wasn't severe warned and had no hail whatsoever, it did (as most storms did) show quite the defecit in low level reflectivities as opposed to the mid-levels.

I posted a clip, you have to listen real carefully to hear it because it's constant. It sounds like a low wind rumble.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E5pcJMiurk

Back