7/30/06 DISC: Ireland

Good to see you on here Martin! Well, as you know I've been to the Plains 6 times now, and it looks very much like a rotating storm to me...whether it lasted long enough to be classed as a supercell is open to question, although that definition is quite blurred anyway!

Cheers Paul. No doubt it's a rotating storm and there is a meso there...so I thought to put it on here. Hope I'm not breaking the rules by posting an international report here...

No doubt on your catch. Pictures like these are always a welcome sight this late in the season.
:)

Nice pictures Martin. Great storm, beautiful countryside.
[/b]

Thanx folks for commenting. Here's another one from the same day approaching me from the South which was also highly suspect....but it crossed the coast over at the sea lough (Strangford Lough) in the distance and the end came swiftly.

Awesome! Great to see Martin! It's really a treat to see good supercellular structure from the UK and Ireland - it's very rare to see ANY structure over there. This may have been a fairly rare event - because it looks like you had a couple of supercells that day, with the second set of storm pictures you posted seeming to support inflow band structure on that particular storm.

The first main one I'd say was a bona fide HP supercell - and a better one than I've seen all year to boot! :p

KL

EDIT - Question: Are the first set of photos from that pretty HP in chronological order?

Topic Split from 'Reports'. Please remember 'Reports' is for first-hand chase reports and not intended for discussion. If you want to comment on a users pictures or have a question please start a 'DISC' thread or use private messaging.

Thanks.

Awesome! Great to see Martin! It's really a treat to see good supercellular structure from the UK and Ireland - it's very rare to see ANY structure over there. This may have been a fairly rare event - because it looks like you had a couple of supercells that day, with the second set of storm pictures you posted seeming to support inflow band structure on that particular storm.

The first main one I'd say was a bona fide HP supercell - and a better one than I've seen all year to boot! :p

KL

EDIT - Question: Are the first set of photos from that pretty HP in chronological order?
[/b]

Hi Karen, nice to hear from you again. Been a while hey. :)

I entered the photo's in order but they aren't there. I have a whole sequence of images of the meso and updraft. I only entered 4 here for the opinions of you folks over there...and to provide some input into Stormtrack from N Ireland. I have some photo's of the intense rainfall over Belfast from this HP event if you wish.

Ah, the second set of pictures. Imo, that was a Supercell too. It was going right (my left) as I looked South (it's actual direction of travel was NE). Imo there is a meso in there too. It was well electrified and rainfall was at 70 - 80mm p/h. Has a good shape to it doesn't it...

Back