68 things wrong with the film Twister

I admit I watch this movie every once in a while when I am really bored but there is nothing in this movie that is realistic about chasing. The sound of the tornado drives me nuts. the special effect they used to get the wind noise was squealing pigs at different decible levels. Now a tornado may sound that way in the oklahoma panhanlde where there are a ton of pig farms but otherwise it is very unrealistic. the lightning/thunder issue is beyond mention since it is a problem in all movies not just twister. The editing mistakes and bad science make this nothing but a B movie. For a major hollywood production it has an overabundance of correctable errors. I enjoy the story line but lets at least do enough research or listen to technical advisors to get at least a few things right before spending that much $ on a movie.

I cant defend anybody that buys anything in this movie or actually thinks its more than a editing nightmare and look at all the grief it has caused with all the locals coming out with kids in tow to see the twister and be like Jo and Bill.

I am not being elitist in the least. Everybody has the right to chase. I just think it is moronic and dangerous to bring the kiddies along, especially when you dont know anything yourself.

It just seems, IMO, that lightning and thunder special effects have never enjoyed even a remote attention to realism like other natural phenomena has.

Pretty bad considering most people have heard/seen this in real life. You would think people would complain more. On the other hand most people don't understand the physics of light travelling faster than sound. In fact, at the fireworks the other night I heard two people arguing about which travelled faster. As it stands now they think sound wins. On top of that, most people think heat lightning is entirely different than regular lightning, and that you can only stand an egg on its end during the equinox. Should I go on or have I made my point?

I'm not gonna lie, I like the movie Twister. I think it is an enjoyable, fictional movie. It's fun to watch, I like the action, etc. I don't think it is the greatest movie ever made, it is rather corny, but I still like it. I know some of you also like it. Almost everyone in this forum has seen it, and most of you have seen it more than once. I don't watch it to gain insight into storm chasing or learn tips, I watch it because it is entertaining.

there is nothing in this movie that is realistic about chasing.

Isn't that what everyone thinks because everyone else says it? There is at least ONE thing in this movie that is realistic and in fact more things are realistic than not. Except the occasional error happens to stand out in the minds of the experts on this forum. Yes, chasing F3 tornadoes at 7am never happens and seeing that many tornadoes is extremely unlikely. (If the Super Outbreak happened today the events in "Twister" would seem pretty tame) That's why its a movie though, the story doesn't work if we have to follow around those geeks for two months, it's much better over two days.

Again, it's not a documentary nor is it based on a true story. Those kind of errors would be unacceptable in a movie like "Apollo 13" but "Twister" is completely fictional. I guarantee that 999 out of 1000 people in this country (maybe more) have never even heard of backing or veering winds let alone the other jargon they use.

I was out to see Van Halen Saturday last (good show, but cemented the end of indoor shows for me...just not the same as an outdoor venue). They did a rendition of Humans Being from the Twister soundtrack and you get one guess as to what sorts of images where on the vid screen during the tune. :wink: They did have some very kewl tornado images however on a really biiiig screen. Prolly the closest I'm going to get this year :lol:

Be well, TR

They did a rendition of Humans Being from the Twister soundtrack and you get one guess as to what sorts of images where on the vid screen during the tune. They did have some very kewl tornado images however on a really biiiig screen. Prolly the closest I'm going to get this year

Heh...that's hilarious!

Anyways, I think the article writer made stated the reason for 99.9% of the errors in the movie in Blooper #66 or 67, when he talked about the scene adding more drama. It's all about keeping people intersted to make the benjamins.

Twister

The movie does have a lot of errors in it, but I still like it. I watch it for entertainment not its accuracy. While storm chasing my dad and I have said many times that storm chasing is much different then it is in Twister.

I just found something great in this “Making of Twister†thing I have on tape — the director is talking about the computer generated tornadoes in the film and says, “Sometimes, I feel like we need to be making mistakes in what we’re doing, because it’s — it’s like it’s too perfect.†I suppose I’d want to talk up the movie if I were him then, but now it’s just funny.

I just found something great in this “Making of Twister†thing I have on tape — the director is talking about the computer generated tornadoes in the film and says, “Sometimes, I feel like we need to be making mistakes in what we’re doing, because it’s — it’s like it’s too perfect.†I suppose I’d want to talk up the movie if I were him then, but now it’s just funny.

That is pretty funny.. :lol:

Eh, it was a movie; I took it for one. Sorta like Animal House; how many times does that actually happen in colleges without serious consequences? Like Animal House is a cult classic for college generations, Twister is a cult classic for many weather people. It's fun entertainment.

When I watch Twister, I laugh at the dialogue more than anything — not the tornado-related dialogue, just in general . . . has anyone, while chasing, had the opportunity for their own little “you can't explain it, you can't predict it!â€￾ soliloquy?

Eh, it was a movie; I took it for one. Sorta like Animal House; how many times does that actually happen in colleges without serious consequences? Like Animal House is a cult classic for college generations, Twister is a cult classic for many weather people. It's fun entertainment.

I actually enjoy the movie Twister. It may not be the most accurate, but its still good entertainment as Caleb suggests. Seems like some people bash Twister just because everyone else is doing it, and they believe they will be looked down upon by other chasers if they don't...

Finally! Yes, it's just a movie. And yes, some of the dialogue is quite rediculous. Like when everybody gets quite at the mention of an F5 tornado...."Finger of God." -Actually that's a pretty good description and I'm not a religous person.

When I watch Twister, I laugh at the dialogue more than anything — not the tornado-related dialogue, just in general . . . has anyone, while chasing, had the opportunity for their own little “you can't explain it, you can't predict it!â€￾ soliloquy?

Yeah, the dialougue was funny, but I thought they said "ok" a little too much.

Hmmm. I didn't care for the movie all that much from a story-teller's perspective, I thought much of it was pretty hokey, though fun in some ways. But I even like some hokey movies -- Joe vs the Volcano is one of my favorites -- but Twister bugged me as a storyteller.

But that's for a different time. What did bother me about the movie from my untrained perspective is when they chained themselves to the post to ride out an F5 tornado? I had been watching some actual documentation of tornadoes then for research, and remembered hearing the testimony of a person who had to hold onto an outdoor light post because she had no where else to go, and she survived (a much weaker tornado) but she survived with three broken limbs and other serious injuries. I had a hard time, even at the time, wondering why all that was left of Jo and partner wasn't a few arms dangling from the chains.

I wonder, what is a "Super Outbreak" ? And what was the bit with the dirt smelling? Any comments on that?

Sam

Sam, a "Super Outbreak" occurred on April 14, 1974. Numerous tornadoes touched down between the Mississippi River and the Applachians. Scroll through the "Identify the Tornado II" thread and you'll come across some pics and info from some of the tornadoes that day.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.april31974.com/images/outbreakmaplarge.jpg

Back