6/4/08 REPORTS: VA/MD/DC

Bill Hark

EF5
This was an unexpected chase opportunity in Virginia. I couldn't resist a moderate risk for central and northern Virginia. With high instability and decent upper level support, severe storms were likely. I didn't like the veered surface winds though there was a small area of backed winds to the north of Richmond. The SPC issued a moderate risk for northern Va, MD and DC. I got off work at 1PM and drove north. A bow echo had already formed west of northern VA/DC and was moving east at 50 mph. The south side would pass south of DC and I hoped for some tornadic potential in that area. I drove north on -95, then east at Fredricksburg on 218. The bow echo rapidly by causing widespread wind damage, power outages and a couple of tornadoes. The tornadoes were mainly on the northside of the bow echo.
I meandered back west hoping for some isolated development south of where the bow echo passed. As expected, an isolated cell formed just north of Charlotteville, Va. I blasted west. The cell quickly became supercellular. Unfortunately, I got on the wrong side of the Rappahannock river. I expected the storm to come to me but it slowed and right-turned. I had to back track east, then south before turning back west toward the storm. It was now tornado-warned. Now I was stuck in heavy rush hour traffic slowing my progress. I followed the storm east. I think the meso passed over me while on I-95 judging by wind shift. Traffic was also slowed by these idiots taking cover under an overpass and blocking traffic. I followed the isolated supercell east, my progress slowed by the roadless Fort AP Hill. Just south on 17 from the intersection of 17 and 301, I filmed a weakly rotating funnel cloud to the northeast at about 7:08PM. I was looking into King George County.The storm weakened and I was caught on the otherside of the Rappahannock river. I ended the chase. I sent in a copy of the footage to the Sterling NWS. Hopefully, they will compare my location to their radar archives and any damage reports. So far, none for that area.

funnel cloud
http://www.harkphoto.com/060408funnelcloudKIngGeorgeCountyVA.jpg

Bill Hark

Back