5/31/04: NOW: Central Texas

This is what it looked like just a few minutes ago at 2111Z here in south Austin (about 6 miles SSW of downtown). As you can see it's really hazy. T/Td is reading 97/75 here.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.stormtrack.org/temp/may31a.jpg
New storm 4 miles north of San Marcos. Looking SSW. Towers have a very distinctive "pulsing" appearance, suggesting a multicellular mode. GRK radar indicates tops of at least 50,000 ft at this time.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.stormtrack.org/temp/may31b.jpg
New, higher based storm 10 miles west of Austin. Looking WNW.

TORN Watch for TX

NWS posted a TORN Watch for TX:

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF CENTRAL AND EAST TEXAS EFFECTIVE THIS MONDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 410 PM UNTIL 1000 PM CDT.

TORNADOES...HAIL TO 3 INCHES IN DIAMETER...THUNDERSTORM WIND GUSTS TO 70 MPH...AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE POSSIBLE IN THESE AREAS.

Hope we have a few storm chasers not on holiday today! 8) LJK.

David Fogel and his group are in the area looking to make up for what he missed yesterday. He reports CU going up all over the place and is just waiting for things to pop near his target of Waco..

Though I'm not exactly sure of the setup for the Jarrell day, from what I know this reminds me of that day given the extreme instability with CAPES aoa 6000 SE of AUS/SAT and weak upper flow. Skin winds are "backed" but very weak with 10kts or less on the last surface map. Also, looks like there is some decent moisture convergence around the 35 corridor. Animated radar shows the storms moving south but mostly stationary--similar to what I remember of Jarrell. That storm in 97 just propogated down (south) the 35 corridor.

Man you guys must be suffering down there with mid-upper 70 dews! Yuck! I've got a dew of 9F right now in Los Alamos...ahhh :D .

Went out and had a look at the Austin activity but the storms were towards on the LP end of the spectrum and very multicellular. This may have something to do with the strong drying just off the surface working through this area. I turned around about 6 pm and came home. Looks like better prospects up in the Waco/Hillsboro area.

Tim

GRK NEXRAD site has a couple nice looking supercells. RUC shows relatively weak flow, except for at 500mb where, winds are >35-40knts, with good directional shear. Guess the high CAPE and the 500mb winds are enough to tilt a few storms so they don't choke off and become completely outflow dominant...

Robert

Back