5/24/08 REPORTS: SD/NE/IA/KS/OK

What a beautiful chase day in central nebraska, man o man, the power of bubbling cu clouds lol, took Hwy 92 westbound from Wahoo, then hit Hwy 39 north, ended up outside Albion, i was hoping the storms could get going but didnt happen, it was better then not seeing anything though.

panex3.jpg

crap.jpg

sunset.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Started out the day planning on going up to Nebraska. Moisture return worries, and not wanting to chase cold front storms made me change my targe to the KS dryline. On the way down to Wichita, I was watching the Oklahoma storm, and decided to make a beline for it. We blew south on 35 and got to the Oklahoma storm at about 430 or so. Ended up seeing 3 tornados. First tornado we saw was a bowl like tornado emerge from a large wall cloud. 2nd one was a more serpentine like tornado east of the first one. At the same time as the 2nd, a 3rd skinny tornado emerged from the rain. Also plenty of good classic/hp structure to go with the tornados. Ran into Jay Cazel and Joey Ketcham just east of Perry and talked with them for a few minutes. Nice seeing you guys out there! We're on our way back to Salina for the night. Below is a picture of the 2nd tornado we saw. First tornado was the bowl-like tornado that formed so quick I was only able to get video. Need to learn how to do video captures :(

IMG_0102.jpg

Sat in the Camelot Inn parking lot in York for an hour or so, then meandered north of town for visibility. Watched the Cu bubble to the west for a while, then wandered west toward Aurora to check out a developing storm. Went north as something finally busted through. Got a good view of the updraft north of Central City, then followed it north and east as it went from an "almost-there" supercell to simple photogenic crapvection. Currently in Norfolk for the night.

We chased the storms that fired North of Grand Island, NE. We knew that we were going to bust today when DOW, TIV & Discovery channel folk showed up at our veiwing point. :) There was several storms that developed minor rotation and had some supercell structures to them but they just could no get their act together-likely due to CIN coming in from the SW. At least the visibility to watch the storms was much improved over the very hazy conditions in Kansas the previous 2 days.

Attachments

• tn_P1010163.jpg
    tn_P1010163.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 120
  • tn_P1010173.jpg
    tn_P1010173.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 116
  • tn_P1010195.jpg
    tn_P1010195.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 97
  • tn_P1010198.jpg
    tn_P1010198.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 103
WOW! All I can say. Caught tornadoes of all shapes and sizes and from as close as 100 yards.

Left out for Kingfisher/Hennessey around 10am this morning planning on intercepting any cell forming near the front/outflow boundary intersection. So needless to say, I caught the cell since its inception and caught all of the tornadoes. From the two cones, to the elephant trunks, wedges and two tornadoes on the ground at once, was just crazy. I can't tell you how many I saw total, at least 10, probably closer to 12+.

EDIT: Aftering pouring through the video, I count at least 11 tornadoes...here are some stills

n9618123_36825017_1819.jpg

n9618123_36824999_7424.jpg

n9618123_36825039_129.jpg

n9618123_36825003_8363.jpg

I was not going to chase today but after begging the wife to let me go it was well worth all the shopping she is going to do :D.

Left Wichita around 2pm, thru eveything in the car and meet up with Tyler Costantini on I-35 heading south towards OK. Also Joey Ketcham caught up with us in Perry OK. Saw a number of wall clouds and funnels and of course lots of other chasers. Chatted with Chris Hayes for a few moments just east of Perry. After 3 days of non stop chasing, I am ready for a break. Pics tomorrow.

Awesome chase today. I was on the tornadic storm in Garfield County Oklahoma and got 4 tornadoes. I could have seen more, but I sold my soul to the devil (CNN being the devil) and broke off the storm temporarily to feed video from a satellite truck. I've never dropped off a storm to sell video and I am never going to do it again. The storm looked somewhat outflow dominant when I left it to feed video and from what I hear I only missed a couple weak tornadoes so I'm not bummed out or anything. It was an incredible chase and I was lucky enough to get close to all the tornadoes, so nothing could ruin my day (even missing a couple tornadoes).

The first tornado I saw was a cone from about a mile away. Unfortunately I was on the phone and didn't get any video of this one. I am pretty sure this was the tornado that hit the pig farm.

The second tornado formed about a quarter to half mile in front of us in a field. It was incredible to sit there and watch it go from a wall cloud to a cone tornado. Below are some video grabs from this tornado. Click on the pictures to enlare.

The third tornado started off as a multi vortex tornado and transitioned into a cone. It originally touched down West of the road I was on and I watched it cross the road in front of me and then stall over the field on the West side of the road. The first pic below is when the tornado was crossing the road about a quarter mile in front of me and the second pic is after is stalled in the field on the West side of the road.

The fourth tornado was again a multi vortex wedge. It quickly became rain wrapped so the only pic I have of it before it was rain wrapped was when I was driving. I got just East of it as it got rain wrapped and watched it lift back up and then continue to put down suction vortices in the bears cage. It was awesome, but the rain curtains made it very low contrast. Below is a pic of the wedge from when I was driving.

Obviously it was a very fun chase. My car is coverd in red Oklahoma mud. On the third tornado I was caught on the backside of it. I was filming it over a field and all of a sudden I heard a couple thuds. Then I saw two baseballs bounce in the field in front of me. I was catching baseball hail on the wrap around. I quickly gunned it out of there and luckily none of them hit my car. Once I turned back east to get ahead of it the road went to absolute slop. I get so nervous and tenced up driving on really muddy roads. I have nightmares about getting stuck in the middle of no where. Thank god the storm was moving so slowly so I managed to outrun it and get back ahead. The storm motions were great after dealing with 40mph the last two days. This was a great way to top off three tornado days in a row.

I hadn't planned on chasing today, but what can you do when you see a sup dangling within reach?
Blasted north out of Norman on I-35 with a target of Perry. Once the cell emerged from some lower cu, it absolutely dominated the northern sky. On the advice of my nowcaster (thanks Bob!!!!!), shifted my target south to Orlando, while I waited with a local, saw the MS State vans, and a few others. Saw two tornadoes off to the west, one was a white cone and the other a rope. I repositioned a bit south again and got two more tornadoes off to the west, one was a rather blocky looking tornado, and the other was a beautifully classic Oz-nado. I also got several funnels.
Not bad for a totally unplanned chase and not bad at all for my first OK tornadoes.

Pretty much same story here as Darrin. Decent storms considering none were even warned. Saw the same funnel and then the sirens went off in Tilden. Currently in Lincoln right now gonna get some rest before our 5th straight chase day.

Attachments

• 52408b.jpg
    52408b.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 98
My girlfriend Bridget Geaughan and myself observed 9 tornadoes between Bison/Perry, OK today. This was easily in my top-three chases of all-time.

We got a late start (planned to chase but I was caught off-guard by the early nature of the event). We managed to intercept the storm along Ok51 east of Hennessey, and witnessed our first tornado of the day southeast of Bison, about 2-3 miles north of the highway. This tornado was a large stovepipe, and reminded me a lot of the October 9, 2001 Foss Lake tornado. We moved east and saw our second tornado, a small funnel about a quarter of the way down, with dirt/dust underneath. This tornado was very brief. We moved east to get better contrast on the huge rotation. We turned north on OK74, and drove north until a gigantic wedge came into view. At first we couldn't tell exactly what we were seeing, because the southern edge came into view first, and we thought that was just the wall cloud...then it kept coming more and more into view, until we could see a "slant" all the way to the ground. Then I looked north and saw the other side. I don't know how large this tornado was at its maximum, or even how long it was truly a wedge, but for at least a minute or so, we were staring at one of the biggest tornadoes I've ever seen, easily a mile across if not more.

This large tornado wrapped in rain and dust, and I honestly couldn't tell when it ended. However, minutes later, the wall cloud re-emerged from the rain, and we had a murky (but doable) view of the next tornado, our fourth, which developed quickly from the southern edge of the parent rotation, and quickly became a stout stovepipe/near-wedge. We videotaped it for as long as we could see it, then bailed south after it became wrapped in precip and vanished from sight. We moved back south to OK51, then hauled it east to OK77, turning north towards Orlando. We moved through town, and found a nice spot on a hill a few miles north of town, and were joined by friend Rocky Rascovich, as we just sat in awe of this once-in-a-decade storm. After it started getting too close for an escape, we hauled it back south to OK51, then moved east under I-35, and stopped about a mile east of the interstate. Both times we went through Orlando, there were people standing around outside in their yards, and both times I yelled "TAKE COVER" as we went by.

The original rotation moved off to the northeast, as the southern edge of the storm began to get wound up. KOCO's guy was doing a live cut-in, and during this, a tornado formed rapidly, about 4 or so miles to our WNW, very near Orlando. It was quite obvious and had full condensation to the ground, however, the channel 5 guy never mentioned it at all...it was on the ground at least 35-45 seconds. Since it was seemingly missed by media, I called it in to OUN as soon as it dissipated. As I was on the phone, another tornado formed briefly, before being wrapped in rain, obscuring the entire lowered/rotating area. I mentioned this one as well, since I already had them on the line. After these two tornadoes, we moved back west and turned north onto I-35.

We went a few miles, then pulled over as another tornado developed from the southern rotation (there were two by this time). As I videotaped this awesome tornado just west of us, a second one formed to the northwest. So I sat there for several minutes, swinging the vidcam back and forth between the two, just grinning like the cat who ate the canary. This was a dream.

After these tornadoes ended, we moved north to try and see the tornado now being reported southeast of Perry. We saw what we are pretty sure was the tornado, which appeared as a stovepipe/barrel looking thing, moving east or southeast, as a dark, then white mass. (The reported position of the tornado and the direction we were looking matched well enough that we're fairly certain this was it). After this we went back south and then east, intending to swing around through Stillwater and then back north to get in front of it again. However the storm seemed to be weakening, so we bailed about 10 west of Stillwater (still never been inside the city limits of that town).

We went back west to check out new development, but this was nothing compared to what we'd seen earlier, so we called it a day. My first career HAT TRICK, and it feels AWESOME!!!!!

Originally targeted SE Nebraska mostly based on SPC SWODY but wanted to keep southern option open so I drove to Salina where I’d make a final decision. Sky was clear on the way but as I approached thick clouds blanketed the entire sky, increasing concern about moisture & instability for the target. Checked mesoanalysis for target and though not impressive at least still possible. Then I checked data for Oklahoma and my eyes popped. 4000 CAPE, EHI 5, Sig Tor & Sup. Comp. also very nice. Checked SPC SWODY and it was still slight 5% for Tor, main concern cap strength. I was already willing to risk the cap with those numbers, plus I wasn’t crazy about a CF scenario up north. But when I checked GR3 and saw the cells that were firing in NC OK there was no doubt about it, time to play the southern option.

I didn’t initially even think of catching the 2 already Tor warned cells, they were over 175 miles away, SW of Perry. But as I kept getting closer, I thought I might actually have a chance, they were barely moving and I was doing 80. Once I got past Wichita I knew I’d get the one remaining southern cell, the initial TEC that I thought my chances of getting initially were nil. I exited just south of Perry at Hwy. 77 and made my way under the updraft base just east of Marshall. I thought it was going to tornado immediately, strong rotation was evident with numerous impressive looking wall clouds. I got ready to reposition and was surprised by a huge convoy of chasers heading south to get away from the core. Wasn’t everybody supposed to be up north? This ended up being the biggest crowd I’ve witnessed, well over a hundred vehicles plus the News 9 helicopter that got the farm destruction footage.

Instead of producing a tornado, it alternated between teasing to promising disappointment as it would show numerous areas of rotation but then gave outflow characteristics with the outer edge somewhat shelfing and the storm going HP. The storm had been moving directly east at 10 mph, originally firing off an OFB from earlier convection. I had positioned myself further east (along with tons of others) when the storm took a left turn. I left the gaggle and moved back to a previous position, about 1 mile N of Orlando. Not only were there just a few other vehicles but finally I saw what seemed inevitable. Got out of the car with camera on just in time to get tornado as rotation touched the ground. It paled to the wedge yesterday but damn, it was tight and very visually defined. It bent at a 45 degree angle, temporarily losing contact with the ground before extending all the way once again. The only thing it had in common with the previous day’s wedge was that it was coming right at me, I was hoping it would move NE as the storm had turned but realized the storm had taken a turn back to the right, moving it directly at me. I stopped filming and bailed as it got within ½ mile of me, maybe closer. I exchanged big smiles with the Violent Skies driver who was filming just behind me and headed south, watching the tornado quickly rope and vanish before it even hit my spot. No regrets, alright, some regrets, that I didn’t have the stones to stand pat and keep shooting. I could have had the entire thing from genesis to end but I guess this trip I’m a magnet for the tubes…hope that magnet works the next 2 days as well!

Spent the next 3 hours chasing it east on gravel roads near Lake McMurtry. Called it off after it lost promise and threatened to flood the area. Staying at the Ramada Inn in Enid (Comfort Inn was full), the AC is finally getting rid of the smell. Either that or I’ve gotten used to it. Planning on playing the dryline tomorrow in western OK, I love that type of chasing. As with yesterday’s footage, I’ll post after this very awesome holiday.

Well, Daphne and I decided to turn around and head north after visiting the Paseo St. Arts festival in OKC when we pulled up a cell phone-sized satellite image and saw bubbling towers on the pseudo dryline intersecting the OFB somewhere near END. We had our son Dylan before and our last long distance drive with him was quite a workout. But the opportunity to see some storms nearby was worth the risk. I brought my gear along because I got in a habit of doing that in the spring, even for a trip to the Target store.

Called Greg and Scharfenberg on the way up I-35 and they mentioned the storm developing west of Hennessey. It was the tail end of two storms but we decided to head west toward END in case the northern one was the show. It turned out not to be and the detour cost us the long-lived photogenic tornado#1.

We got to within 1 E of Hennessey in time to see a rather distant, low contrast elephant trunk tornado to the northwest. Then the tornadofest continued.
Another elephant trunk tornado came down a few mi to our NW east of Hennessey. Then we repositioned on section roads to northwest of Marshall to observe a stout cone tornado approach us from the west. This tornado got caught in the circulation of a huge meso forming to its north.

The huge meso could be seen to form multiple condensation funnels but by the time we repositioned to northeast of Marshall, it was enshrouded with rain. We only were offered fleeting glimpses of what lay within from our position. The lightning barrage started forcing us inside the car. Too bad because we wanted to chat with Rocky who happened to drop by.

Our last reposition was to a point 3 mi north of Orlando where we were offered a view of what appeared to be an HP supercell. With Dylan having a long enough day, we decided not to disrupt his routine too much and so we headed back to I-35 to go south. Our last look at the storm featured a remarkable transformation back to classic supercell as the rainwrapped lead meso fell apart and a new one formed rapidly to the west of Orlando. From I-35 and Rt 51, we could see distant funnel touch the ground. We got back in time for dinner.

I'm glad to have such a convenient chase after having missed the 2-day KS tornadofest. I just didn't realize what an amazing event this was. In a lot of ways, this event represents a better version of the one near Orienta 13 June 2007. The only major drawback to this event was the haze!

Complete bust. I was chasing with Jason Persoff and Robert Balogh. Started the day in Russell, Kansas. Our target was the Hebron to Beatrice area of Nebraska. We stopped in Salina, Kansas to check more data, then headed north. We heard about the storms farther to the south but decided they wouldn't last. We were too far out of position. We continued to our target area, shifting to near Fairmount to watch the boundary to the west. Storms in our area never really developed. We ended in York, Nebraska. Congratulations to those who were able to reach the Oklahoma storms.

Bill Hark

Greg McLaughlin and I chased the storm in Garfield Co. today. I am going to have to echo Shane's comment and say that this chase is easily in my all time top 3 chases as well. I don't know how many tornadoes we saw, but it was at least 8 and we saw every type of tornado, from needle to small wedge. I'm not big into writing chase reports, so here are a few video caps.

CrossingRoad1.jpg

treesandstructure.jpg

Trees3.jpg

CrossingRoad2.jpg

I haven't had time to go through the rest of our video, but when I do, the images and videos will be posted at www.stormguy.com

Back