5/13 REPORTS: OK/KS/TX

Originally posted by Sheila_Ward
A tornado warning was issued north of me at Tulsa and I thought about jumping on the turnpike and heading north. But there were reports of major flooding and hail and I was just too tired to fight that mess. That turned out to be a good decision because I believe that cell was radar warned and there were no actual funnels or tornadoes reported.

At the time the warning was issued they were still trying to find a spotter to verify what was being seen on the radar in the Kiefer area. Later as the circulaton broadened and started being ignored from the media it dropped an f1 in Coweta, OK s.e. of Tulsa.
I havn't heard of any visual sightings of it but here is the NWS Report

Blake Naftel and I made a chase of convienience into North Texas, leaving Oklahoma City just as the first Severe Thunderstorm Watch went up. The hilarity goes from there.

With a squall line bearing down, we trucked south trying to catch the south end of the line. Once we arrived at Wichita Falls, we got horribly lost on the town's highways, while trying to find our way out, we had the encounter with the Wichita Falls Booger which was soon followed by a non-stop laugh-fest as we trucked south out of Wichita Falls in tears only to catch round 1 of the squall line.

We continued south from Spencer towards Throckmorthon and caught round 2 of the line while trying to intercept a tornado warned storm. We arrived to some scenic clouds as the storm was completely outflow dominate. We figured the day was done, so we began an eastward trek, stopping for gas and food. As soon as we got in the car, a tornado warning was issued for a cell southwest of Abeliene, TX. We turned around and gunned south of I-20, arriving to see yet another outflow-dominated storm. That was the final venture; we shot east on I-20 into Fort Worth, then made our return to Norman for cheap tacos and conversation.

This was definately the most hilarious chase I've ever had as Blake was exhausted from his marathon from Michigan on less than 2 hours of sleep. I, too, was on the giddy side after Wednesday's incredible day which lead to a few short hours of sleep for me. That combined with cheesy sense of humors and off-the-wall incodents, it went to giggle mode very quickly. You know you're in trouble when the EAS tone is going off and both you and your chase partner are in tears laughing so hard it hurts. It was a great time, and a very light, humerous way to end what was an all-out incredible week. I'll get some pics posted as soon as I finish assembling Wednesday's goodies.

WEEK IN REVIEW:
Over 2000 miles logged since Monday night.
Monday: 2in Diameter Hail just south of Cheyenne, WY
Tuesday: Northwest Kansas Bust, drove Denver to the SE corner of Nebraska, dropped into Northwest Kansas, jumped on I-70 near Oakley, then stayed overnight in Hays.
Wednesday: From Hays to Oklahoma City; 7 tornadoes in South Kansas; incredible day.
Thursday: Oklahoma City to just east of Abiliene, TX, then around thru Fort Worth back in OKC.
Friday: OKC to Wichita for a stop, then back to Denver.

One word.. WOW :shock:

Back