5/04/22 EVENT: OK/TX/AR

Warm front will be lifting throughout the day. Some models show it getting north of I-40 and some other CAMs keep it further south. Looking at the HREF we should definitely see some action across N TX, southern half of OK and AR.

I will be keeping an eye out for some OFBs and any storm that rides the WF.

The 850mb winds on the NAM HRRR and RAP are all pointing to along and west of the I-35 corridor. If you're playing out west, looks like an early uncapped show

Not sure how the low-level lapse rates will play out today, but they are not too impressive. This might be a consideration for when, what and where you chase.

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 11.27.27 AM.png

Getting reports of another "tour van" getting hit by winds or a tornado near Lockett, TX.
Per chaser stream at the scene, the damaged van was being pulled back on the road. There appeared to be considerable damage to the vehicle and at least one person was injured. This was in A damage path, based on debris on and next to the road.

Social media is boiling over with comments about bad chasing behavior today, including a lot of people bragging about zero-metering. I guess the season is in full swing now! A lot of storms with deviant motions and rapidly cycling mesocyclones seems to be catching a lot of people off guard, although I never trust a tornadic storm that is to my north or east.

I have not heard the term zero-metering before, what does this mean?

EDIT: Apparently it means being zero meters from a tornado, also known as "joining the zero meter club", it appears the term may have been coined by the dominator crew, but I find it a disturbing anyone would talk about this as something to do intentionally without a dominator or tiv type vehicle (not that it isn't risky even in dominator/tiv)

Last edited:
Watching the Lockett storm real time it seemed to be heading east, then occluded turning North, the retrograde about the time it hit Lockett. A very unfourtunate situation especially at night.

Why the f**k would any tour group drive into the notch of a strong tornadic supercell at NIGHT? Especially since they’re responsible for the safety of not only themselves, but the other guests as well. That’s just asking for trouble and they’re very lucky they escaped with just dents and broken windows.

Posted by Twister Hunter: "Footage of the Lockett, Texas wedge tornado and a close range tornado south of Vernon on Highway 183 last night. We were approximately 7 miles from the Lockett tornado, which had occluded, when a the storm cycled and produced a new tornado on the road directly in front of us. It appears a couple vehicles just ahead of ours were in or very close to the circulation."

The 2 vans just ahead of them at the end (with people getting out to view the storm) belong to SLT.

Back