4/21/67 The Oak Lawn, IL Tornado

Susan Barwan

I may have only been 4 years old when this tornado came down my street, but I remember it like it was yesterday. I was looking out our front picture window and I saw the "big, black thing" not very far away. I asked my mom what it was and she screamed and told me to take my little brother in the basement. I remember the sound as it plowed through houses...I will never forget it! This storm is the reason I chase and spot whenever I can because we really didn't have any true warning on tornadoes back then. I do as much as I can to notify the general public of severe weather and what to do in case of it.

Here is a pic and a little excerpt from an article I keep to remind me how mortal we all are....

"On April 21, 1967, a line of severe thunderstorms moved through northern Illinois that caused an outbreak of 19 tornadoes that afternoon.

At around 5:30 PM, an F4-rated tornado touched down at 103rd Street and 82nd Avenue in the town of Palos Hills. The twister moved rapidly (at 65 mph – more than twice the speed of the average twister) in a northeast direction towards the village of Oak Lawn, causing severe damage to the Starlite Drive-In at 95th Street and Ridgeland, and touching down again at the intersection of Southwest Highway and 95th Street.

It was at this intersection where the tornado caused the most damage, ripping the front off of Oak Lawn High School, leveling several businesses, and literally throwing transit buses, parked at their depot, randomly into the surrounding neighborhood. The worst carnage took place as commuters, waiting in their cars for the stop light to turn green at the intersection, became helpless victims of the twister as it roared through them.

The twister continued on, leveling homes and destroying Oak Lawn Roller Rink on Cicero Avenue, and then moving through Hometown before reaching the Chicago city limits. It left land near 79th Street and became a waterspout over Lake Michigan.

The death toll of the Oak Lawn tornado was 33, with 16 of those perishing at Southwest Highway and 95th Street, and over 1,000 people were injured.
The twister caused over $50 million in damage ($285 million in today’s dollars)."

Attachments

• oaklawn3.jpg
    oaklawn3.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 317
Though I wasn't born yet, this tornado struck just a few miles from where my parents lived at the time. My mother remembers the "pea green" sky and the way the wind bowed the sliding door and other large windows. Definately one of the storms that got me interested in severe weather. The Belvidere F4 tornado was just a little earlier in the day, that I believe resulted in 24 additional deaths.

Oak Lawn is a suburb of Chicago right? I read about this tornado and it is interesting and one of the worst tornadoes in Illinois state history.

Oak Lawn is a suburb of Chicago right? I read about this tornado and it is interesting and one of the worst tornadoes in Illinois state history.

Yes...Oak Lawn is a south suburb of Chicago :) Hometown also was hit near the tail end of the tornado...roundabouts of 87th St and Kedzie ave...which is a couple blocks from where i lived back then. 2908 W 86th pl. I remember the sound of roofs coming off houses and afterwards seeing the houses without the roofs as my dad took me around with him when he went to take pictures. (he was a wedding photographer back then so he had a good camera) I sure wish i knew who has those photo albums now...i've asked my mom, but she says she doesn't have the,...been years i spent searching for em and no one seems to know where they went! How sad!

My grandparents lived 2 blocks south of where this tornado hit in Evergreen Park. My dad was 11 at the time. My grandpa worked at a can company prior to the tornado. He went around taking pictures and went to the Chicago Tribune. They hired him on the spot and he went on to become a world-renowned photographer. A tragic event, but also one that opened a door in my family. I know of only one photo of the actual tornado. My grandparents lived at 3345 W. 91st St. They were en route to a pizza place at I want to say 86th and Kedzie. If they had gotten hit by that tornado, I may not be here today! It has been 43 years since that tornado hit... Oak Lawn/Evergreen Park hasn't been hit since... I live out in Romeoville now but am moving back to Evergreen Park in October.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/Image/lot/severe/21Apr1967_tornado.pdf - NWS LOT write up on the event.

I know of only one photo of the actual tornado.

There's a photo of it? Wow. Photos of historical tornadoes from the sixties and before are scarce. For instance, as far as I know, not a single shot exists of the Flint/Beecher tornado. If you have access to that photo, any chance you can share it here on ST?

There's a photo of it? Wow. Photos of historical tornadoes from the sixties and before are scarce. For instance, as far as I know, not a single shot exists of the Flint/Beecher tornado. If you have access to that photo, any chance you can share it here on ST?

1953_Beecher_FLINT_TORNADO.jpg

That comes from WLUC-TV in Michigan.

Chris, cool picture, but it's not the Flint tornado. It was another tornado from the same day that occurred south of Flint in Erie, Michigan. I recall reading somewhere that this tornado traveled quite a way out over Lake Erie.

But about sharing the photo, I meant the Oak Lawn tornado. Looks like my meaning wasn't clear.

Chris, cool picture, but it's not the Flint tornado. It was another tornado from the same day that occurred south of Flint in Erie, Michigan. I recall reading somewhere that this tornado traveled quite a way out over Lake Erie.

But about sharing the photo, I meant the Oak Lawn tornado. Looks like my meaning wasn't clear.

I knew that's what you meant...I was just attempting to find the FB tornado was well. ;)

I'm sure this doesn't help dissuade people from believing it was the Flint-Beecher:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/1953beecher/

But, you're right...it did go quite a way over Lake Erie:

Figure_1.jpg

Back