4/20/04: REPORTS

Just a quick summary of yesterday's events:

Followed many of the non-tornadic thunderstorms in S. Kansas into N. Oklahoma. Headed south from Bartlesville upon hearing about the tornadic thunderstorm near Tulsa. Cell just west of us was tornado warned so we stuck around and watched the rapidly rotating wall cloud pass directly over Ramona, OK. About 10 min after the warning was issued(~7:30), a tornado touched down (mostly rain wrapped) about 3 or 4 to the east of Ramona(or near Talala). I have video of this event and plan on posting a few images once I get a few free hours.

Gabe

Last night was my first attempt at a chase. I knew I probably wouldn't see much but I was mezmerized the whole time just with the lightning. I left work in Kansas City at about 5:30pm and started to head south, which was a mistake because as soon as I got into traffic there was a bulletin that the storm was almost to Harrisonville so I needed to head east quick. I got to 50 hwy and went east to Warrensburg, passing under a thick cloud layer but not much was going on other than the lightning, which was quite a show. Once I got to Warrensburg it was pooring but almost dark so I decided to head home. Not much of a chase but it was fun.

I stayed in SE Kansas yesterday and i regret it. My initial target area was a Coffeyville-Bartlesville line and i should have kept to it. The only thing i saw was a 12 mile long shelf cloud w/ 40 mile/hour wind and heavy rain. Hopefully today south of tulsa will be better.

WOW!!!!!!!!!

As sheer coincidence would happen I was with my chase partner in Davenport for what was going to be a meeting with storm spotters in the Quad Cities, IL area. This is a detailed account and summary of what we experienced. Photos to follow later. The Chase Team that had to quickly get going was myself and Jacki Earnest, nowcasted by Daniel Earnest.

At around 10 in the morning the day started as drab as possible. 49 degrees and moderate rain, lots of stratus. In fact, we had just joked about going on a successful "stratus chase", and thought that would be the only excitement we would get out of the day......

We went to the public library to check on data and forecasts. There was, as noted, no indications at all we were to go to Illinois.... we thought the warm front would get close to our region but not quite make it through....... the NWS had no indication of severe wx in our area except for the "low probability" of such.... severe wx was possible to the south in Missouri, we contemplated heading south toward knoxville, Missouri...but based on the low probabilities we decided against it..

So.....we wasted time and basically just decided to enjoy the day until the stormspotter meeting. Until I looked outside and noticed the clouds were taking on "that look".

I said "That aint good" meaning "This is great". Immediately flicked on the NOAA Weather Radio to be surprised by a new SVR watch. We were ecstatic. Little did we know.....

We high tailed it to the library to get info.....and were we shocked to hear reports of a "Large Tornado" on the ground to our southeast. However, the tornadic storms were too far away to catch at that point, and it was getting later in the afternoon. So we targeted a strong storm developing just southeast of Iowa CIity, hoping we would get some show there.

We drove west on 6 to I 80 and noticed the clouds building dramatically, and soon a large anvil appeared. Turning north on 38, we were greeted with an awesome wall cloud to the north. We turned west on a county road and stopped to watch.

We were able to visually confirm a large bowl-shaped wall cloud. Also , a funnel rached down halfway to the ground at that point. We are terming this as a "possible tornado" due to its proximity to the ground and tohe fact we could not confirm a ground circulation. Soon, this and its parent accessory cloud dissipated....and we turned around and headed south to the tail end of this developing line.

WOW..

The most amazing, amazing shelf cloud was now in progress on what had evolved into a dramatio squall line. This baby was rolling...backlit by solid precipitation and isolated hail shafts, this was the sight to see. Once in a while a funnel-like vortex structure would form in the roll cloud. Little if any in the way of CG however alot of IC lightning.

AS the storms overtook us in that magic area between shelf cloud and precipitation, we were greeted to absolutely mezmerizing cloud turbulence as a result of the outflow. It was absolutely unworldly. Ive seen this before, but not this pronounced or well defined. AMAZING.

Heading back, we heard of more confirmed tornadoes to our east and were saddened that we missed some of the action. We were more saddened and angry that there were fatalities....no chaser in his or her right mind wants to hear that.

All in all a very successful chase with great pictures. We were treated well on this chase of April 20 in Eastern Iowa..

Jeff Miller/Jacki Earnest
J Squared Chase Team
www.ozark24.com

Congratulations to everyone for such incredible intercepts yesterday - will be a day to remember for sure. Enjoyed the landspout pics, mike ... sweet! ... I wonder, though - if this was a mini supe, which it looks like - couldn't this be considered as a tornado? It doesn't look like there is any defined meso on that storm (and in fact it looks a little high), but it's in the right place with an RFD coming up behind it ... just wondering if this could be classified as a tor if it was coming from a mini supercell ... was there any storm-scale rotation indicated on radar in the storm? -

Congratulations to Ben on his first sighting - - and to those in Oklahoma yesterday too ... you have an exciting couple of days lined up down there.

It wasn't so much as a high based storm as it was a very disorganized weak storm. If you go from 1-10-20, 1 being a summer pop up storm, 10 being a true 'mini-sup', and say 20 a monsterous sup. This storm was a 2.5. It was barely able to produce lightning and the updrafts were ragged at the bottoms and not strong. I don't know what you'd call it. On vid as I just saw it and was 'spouting' stuff out I called it a gustspout....lol. It'd been nice to see a funnel at cloud base but I was too far away and didn't see it soon enough. Yeah it did have some fashion of an RFD(especially right before this), but to some degree all storms do. I guess my brother-in-law was fishing at desoto there and was upset the tv stations didn't warn them..lol...!?!? I'll have to talk with them and see if they saw a funnel at 'cloud base', but I'm not sure I'd believe too much of what I hear anyway...sooo.

Too cool, whatever it was - nice catch - especially for that distance. The freeze makes it appear that there is little or no precip falling as well, so this storm had a very odd balancing act going on ... So easy to overlook things like this when you're not expecting it -

In reply to Shane Adams. Good, glad I was proved wrong. I've only seen video from one Tulsa station (can't remember which one, I get them all mixed up).

I just moved to Tulsa last summer from the OKC area. My general impression thus far remains that the Tulsa coverage is inferior. I long for the days when I lived on those wind-swept plains rather than here in the Ozark foothills.

Back