4/18/05 TALK: Central/Southern Plains

Meanwhile......for those who wish to know about severe weather....

:wink:

There's a high-based supercell (most likely a nice mothership) in the southern Texas Panhandle, near Progress, TX.

KR

Looking at the low-level shear signature it doesn't show much, but persistent TVS finally drawing a torn warning from the cell in York county. Certainly some big hail if not a tornado developing - hope somebody is there to see it.

Glen

Dean Cosgrove just called in to say that the warned storm in York Co., NE is rapidly becoming rain wrapped and he started dropping SW to a new storm when a new meso developed with a rain free base. Things are happening! 69 mph shear, 3 miles wide, according to Mobile Threatnet.

EDIT:
Hopefully Dean made it there in time... Nice cell with very strong elevated reflectivities continues in near Grafton:
A TORNADO WARNING CONTINUES UNTIL 700 PM CDT FOR FILLMORE AND YORK
COUNTIES

AT 624 PM CDT...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A TORNADO. THIS
TORNADO WAS LOCATED 2 MILES WEST OF GRAFTON...OR ABOUT 14 MILES
SOUTH OF YORK...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 25 MPH.

I was on the storm in progress and it had a high base and really didn't look that great.

I don't see any hook on the latest radar loop on the Thayer storm. I'm none too thrilled with the idea of the storm passing through Gage County at night, either.

Thayer Co storm looks mean -- Bruning had a rough night with a period of non-tornadic damage lasting nearly 40 min.

0836 PM HAIL BRUNING 40.34N 97.56W
04/18/2005 1.75 INCH THAYER NE TRAINED SPOTTER

STRONG WINDS ARE BRING DOWN SOME TREE LIMBS. GROUND
COVERED WITH HAIL.

Edit: First ground truth report E of Belvidere at 847

[Broken External Image]:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/sammysags/CAGJUB4X.gif

Edit: Satellite presentation very impressive with echo tops approaching 50k'(?) in NE
[Broken External Image]:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/sammysags/bruningsat.gif
Image Source: my-cast.com

New TOR for Republic as this storm shifts sewrd... Let's hope it drops one!

Why?

I mean, it's obviously after dark, so I doubt any chasers are on the storm (and if they are, I'm not sure what they'd see). Those folks down there have been pounded all night long, it seems. They deserve a break.

I just got home and saw the tornado report for the Nebraska cell at some time around 8:30. I have a hard time believing that thing produced. I left the storm around 8:30 and every lowering was being undercut by outflow. I am tired now, but I will start a reports thread tomorrow if someone else hasn't by then and put up a few pictures. By the way, I got there late so don't expect any tornado pictures from me.

New TOR for Republic as this storm shifts sewrd... Let's hope it drops one!

Why?

I mean, it's obviously after dark, so I doubt any chasers are on the storm (and if they are, I'm not sure what they'd see). Those folks down there have been pounded all night long, it seems. They deserve a break.

I guess you could ask that question about ANY tornado event...

Back