4/14/2006 NOW: IL,IN,OH,KY,VA,WV, PA

This looks really bad, IMO. Still a strong BWER, still strong rotation on velocities, still headed right into the SW end of KIND. Hopefully this thing cycles right now or for some reason isn't still putting down a tornado.

BTW, looks like meso is going to pass right over the KIND radar facility. That should be interesting!

I think its bad no matter what happens right now. If it starts cycling now the decrease in UVV will drop the hail out ... over NW Indy suburbs. Luckily this storm has taken more of a southerly component to its overall direction which could spare most of Indy, luckily. Perhaps this shift in direction has to do with effects from previous convection?

Anyone else notice that there appears to be 2 areas of tornado occurrence based on G2G Shear with that one cell?

PS: Funnel cloud now being reported.

As I look at Mapquest the TVS is headed RIGHT for Indianapolis International Airport, not good. BTW is the NWS radar site by the airport? And the NWSFO....

TVS Signature about to go directly over the NWS office, Doppler Radar tower and IND Int'l. Should be interesting. FYI....NWS Office got hit with wind damage earlier this week...

One thing to note is that the KIND storm is so close right now to the radar facility that the rotation that it is picking up is only a couple thousand feet up. And it has one heck of a couplet registered.

KIND took the direct hit now...74 knots, 3/4 inch hail

SAUS43 KIND 150206
MTRIND
SPECI KIND 150205Z 28042G74KT 1/4SM +TSGRRA FG SCT050 BKN075 OVC100
17/16 A2960 RMK AO2 PK WND 28074/0202 WSHFT 0151 GRB02 CONS LTGCCCG
ALQDS TS VC W MOV SE GR3/4 P0021 RVRNO

The latest LSR (1" hail report) indicates that the IND NWSFO has handed off produce issuance responsibilities to the Louisville NWSFO, presumably because the IND office personnel have taken shelter. The center of rotation is currently passing extremely near the radar, or not passing directly over it. I think it was extremely difficult to see any tornado on the ground now given that the meso was/is extremely rain-wrapped. A few scans ago showed decent rotation at tilt 1, which was only 200feet off the ground! Fortunately, I see that KIND radar continues operation.

EDIT: New LSR indicating 85mph winds at the IND International Airport (likely very wet RFD), but it's good to see that IND is back issuing products. It'll be interesting to read what Joe Nield says about this (assuming he's working now)...

Interesting how we are discussing tornado siren usage in Weather and Chasing, from SVR Warn for Johnson County:

AT 1014 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE HAIL...AND
DESTRUCTIVE HURRICANE FORCE WINDS IN EXCESS OF 80 MPH. SIREN
ACTIVATION IS SUGGESTED. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR GREENWOOD...
OR ABOUT 12 MILES SOUTH OF INDIANAPOLIS...AND MOVING SOUTHEAST AT
55 MPH.
[/b]

I suppose they are teetering between SVR and Tornado Warn'ing it. Its hard to say right now, cannot get a good radar angle on the storm. The sites to the south and east are only coming into range now. Even so, radar beam too far up for accurate depiction of what is going on near surface.

The storm near Indianapolis looks like a hurricane! Absoultely amazing on rad vel scans. Very clear Meso almost encompassing the radar site. This is one of the most interesting scans I've ever seen!

Yes it was a great view. The "eye" is due to the region right above the radar site where it cant see... a wind profiler looking straight up there would be very interesting.

Just got back from chasing the supercell that went through Warren/Fountain/Southern tippecanoe county and eventually hit Crawfordsville and is now over Indianapolis. In Fountain county I observed one of several Radar hooks and obtained pictures and video of rainwrapped tornado which hit small massage parlor and small town of Robroy Indiana within a minute after my best observation and pic/vid stop. Did not know of tornado at time of chase as storm was only tornado warned with previous sketchy reports of touchdowns. Winds were easily between 50mph to 90mph when the RFD blast rotated around to my position. I may have captured outline of tornado in heavy rain with video but still unsure. NOT straighline winds is a safe assumption as the supercell had GRAND low and mid level Meso-scale features. Cannot share pics yet as I do not have proper media reader at my current location. I had to drive 30miles to catch storm but the tornado occured only 1 1/2 to 3 miles from my own house. At times my location relative to tornado could have been as short as 1/8 mile to a few hundred yards. Got on a bad road that led me extremely close to the southern most extent of the storm and put me in bears cage for 2-3 minutes. Unknown hail and approx 80mph winds put me crooked/very loose a few times while driving away from storm and also had some vehicle damage as a powerline caught the truck windshield and took off my antennae :eek: ... luckily thats all!!

Sorry again about no pics (yet), but craziest storm for this location in 25 years possibly longer.

PS: Town of Robroy destroyed by F3 in 1953.

Comments please, this is my second post on the forum, first one being my mistaken forecast from earlier this afternoon.

Back