4/10/09 Disc: TN/AL/GA

It was a resident female that was visiting the area from what I understand. I saw it in Dan Satterfield's blog....he was giving credit to her. I believe that I saw a potential second tornado in that photo as well. Radar would kind of back up that assumption. Maybe it's just my eyes....

I kept looking at that other structure as well, and wondering if it was a scud bomb. It sure looks like another tube...

Seeing a storm this good to the southeast of Huntsville just an hour after I was in the big hail to the west is really frustrating--I'm having to give myself a bust rating now. But there were so many choices that day.

I might add that if that is two funnels, it certainly relates to Jeff Russell's earlier posts in this thread regarding two tornadoes this close to each other. Again, I don't think that has been an uncommon occurence in this region.

I kept looking at that other structure as well, and wondering if it was a scud bomb. It sure looks like another tube...

Seeing a storm this good to the southeast of Huntsville just an hour after I was in the big hail to the west is really frustrating--I'm having to give myself a bust rating now. But there were so many choices that day.

Yeah, that second column sure looks like a tube. When I first saw the original photo, I was thinking the whole shot was maybe a fake. When Brett posted the other shot of the main tornado from the NWS HUN page, it was immediately apparent that it was no fake. Best photo I have seen of an Alabama tornado. I'm moving back if this keeps up!

Would be interesting to get to the bottom of the secondary feature. It does look similar to a couple of classic scud bombs I have seen, but would not be surprised at all if it were another tube.

In any case, what a shot...

TonyC

Yeah, that second column sure looks like a tube. When I first saw the original photo, I was thinking the whole shot was maybe a fake. When Brett posted the other shot of the main tornado from the NWS HUN page, it was immediately apparent that it was no fake. Best photo I have seen of an Alabama tornado. I'm moving back if this keeps up!

Would be interesting to get to the bottom of the secondary feature. It does look similar to a couple of classic scud bombs I have seen, but would not be surprised at all if it were another tube.

In any case, what a shot...

TonyC

They are still cleaning up Guntersville...

This is the most interesting season we've had up here in a while, Tony. The structure scene has been overall better in several storm days, not near as much soup & splash. And baseball hail? Did you see any of the local photos?

Did you see Jeff Russell's Sand Mountain intercept report, where he was trying to reconcile storm damage in two close and closely timed locales? My experience has been that multiple walls/tors is not unusual here, as in the case of my avatar on the high risk, when I could see two at once, and an almost-wall right on top of me. All this in AL terrain...

I don't want to over-extend this idea, but I keep thinking that with the mini-supes and other things that occur here, like the horizontal rotation on the tail of a small storm cloud I've seen twice now, that there may be some phenomena here that are not normal in the Alley, where bigger storms result from wider dynamics and less terrain influence. As a non-scientist, I get nervous even posting this, but all you real guys have always been patient with me.

They are still cleaning up Guntersville...

This is the most interesting season we've had up here in a while, Tony. The structure scene has been overall better in several storm days, not near as much soup & splash...

...I don't want to over-extend this idea, but I keep thinking that with the mini-supes and other things that occur here ... may be some phenomena here that are not normal in the Alley, where bigger storms result from wider dynamics and less terrain influence.

Definitely some amazing imagery coming out of Dixie so far this season. Saw some of Jeff's report. Could not see the Facebook photos since I am apparently the last person on the planet who has not joined, but from the report, it certainly sounds like it could have been damage from separate spinups. Also it is not too uncommon to get separate paths of tornado damage and RFD damage not too far apart. Remember Feb 16, 2001, the small tornado that went down Capshaw Road west of Huntsville:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/hun/tornadodatabase/tornado.php?type=county&name=MadisonAL

You have to scroll down to find it. Dr. Kevin Knupp at UAH and a couple of his students surveyed the damage and did some research on that case. There was tornadic damage on Capshaw Road and straight line damage (~2 miles south) on Highway 72 occuring at or near the same time. Interesting proximal damage paths occur in such situations, but you can usually sort out what is tornadic and what is straight-line. I have some pretty whacky theories of my own when it comes to some of the borderline straight-line vs. torando damage cases that crop up from time-to-time.

I think all the fringe cases and oddities that pop up just highlight how much there still is to learn. The Guntersville lake photo that appears to show the second tube seems to support the idea that the environment in the area was capable of doing it on Apr. 10th. All very cool stuff!

Back