4/10/09 Disc: TN/AL/GA

Here are a few shots I took of the damage in Murfreesboro today. It was horrible, as it always is when it hits a populated area.

Attachments

• DSC_0285.jpg
    DSC_0285.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC_0315.jpg
    DSC_0315.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC_0317.jpg
    DSC_0317.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_0328.jpg
    DSC_0328.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 158
See my report http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showpost.php?p=221896&postcount=5

Can this cell that passed through the Powell/Rainsville area have had two wall clouds? I was 1 mile north of Rainsville on hwy 75. I observed the cell approach from the SW. Powell is 4 miles WNW of me. Did this storm recycle with a new lowering in that short of distance or did the cell make a jog SE very quickly?

map scale: 1 inch = 1 mile

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a way to go back and retrieve the SPC's day 1 overviews for yesterday? I've looked with no luck. Help please.

Thanks

See my report http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showpost.php?p=221896&postcount=5

Can this cell that passed through the Powell/Rainsville area have had two wall clouds? I was 1 mile north of Rainsville on hwy 75. I observed the cell approach from the SW. Powell is 4 miles WNW of me. Did this storm recycle with a new lowering in that short of distance or did the cell make a jog SE very quickly?

map scale: 1 inch = 1 mile

Jeff

Jeff, as a non-scientist who has chased a large number of storms in north Alabama, I would say yes--two wall clouds or tornadoes in close proximity are not rare around here. My avatar photo is the closest of two tornadoes that I saw within five minutes at that location. One was off to the north, but not so far away that I missed seeing it in AL terrain. A short time after this photo, I had to abandon this position due to a disturbance that was due west of me, closer than this photo and approaching quickly. It did not drop a tube, but I couldn't wait under it to see. (This happened on a high-risk day).

Several years ago, I watched with a local police officer a single cell, very small, that was approaching our position quickly. There were no warnings or watches out. The storm base was barely wide enough to hold two wall clouds, both rotating, and it passed directly over us with an instant slamming wind. So there was possibly an F0 of some kind that day with no apparent condensation funnel, yet it came out of a very small cloud with twin wall clouds.

I've mentioned in posts years ago that the enviroment here seems to favor some miniature severe events. I don't know if these things happen elsewhere, and fortunately they rarely make news since damage is not significant, but they are amazing to observe.

Those are interesting damage photos. Some of those homes that were swept clean off their foundations appear to be only nailed to the foundation with straight nails. On the other hand there are some homes swept clean off their foundations were I see anchor bolts protruding from the foundation and nearby trees debarked could possibly be at least an EF4. One home appears to be a bare concrete slab but the debris appears to be only about 10-20 feet away from the foundation so I dont think that would be EF5. With an EF5 doesnt a well-built home have to be cleaned off its foundation but also the disintegrated remains have to be blown downwind leaving little or no trace.

Back