• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

3/5/2004 REPORTS

A whole lot of rain, that is my report. We did have a great deal of wind for a short period. Some small trees down around the area. We have some small stream flooding. There were a few houses in the area that had water creaping up there yard, but no damage that I am aware of. I got some good pictures of a local park that was flooded. That be all from this neck of the frozen north.

3/5 Report - WV

My objective was to at least see some lightning today. With a nose of moisture in central KY and the front pushing in at peak heating, I 'targeted' the Lexington-Morehead vicinity.

As soon as the southcentral KY radar began to light up, I left Charleston at 4:30PM heading west. I drove to Huntington, WV on my way to central KY before getting a call from Bill Coyle about a new squall line that was now moving across Lexington. I waited for it in Huntington and saw 4 flashes of distant lightning. The line choked in Huntington but bowed out a bit to the north and gave Parkersburg-Morgantown a better show.

Glad I was stopped before I drove to LEX (only a 2 hour drive but still too far for today's setup). No video or photos. But it felt good to get out and chase *something* since last November.

Keeping an eye on the flooding potential, but right now it looks like this system will mostly be a non-event for the central Appalachians.

Dan

The 3/5 system had one last trick up its sleeve. With surface temps of 56 degrees at noon, a thin line of thunderstorms pushed through central WV with the frontal passage. I was caught off guard and missed a loud cloud-to-ground strike 1.5 miles away as I fumbled to get the camera set up.

Last night the training precip shield dumped over 2 inches of rain on the area, resulting in minor flooding. This is in Griffithsville, WV last night at 2:00AM where Straight Fork overflowed its banks.

[Broken External Image]:http://wvlightning.com/2004/march6a.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://wvlightning.com/2004/march6b.jpg

Back