3/13/06 DISC: Alabama Tornadoes

BMX is out doing some surveys of the Alabama tornadoes of last evening. After reading through the rules pretty thoroughly I think I can post this here. There are several Alabamians that were able to photograph, get video, or take radar grabs of these long track supercells as they traveled along a narrow instability axis across Alabama. I will post up some links of a few here.

Here is a radar Grab of the storm as it went through southern Cullman and Blount Counties in Alabama.

TornadopastBluntSprings.gif

These are the images that Greg Caudle captured of the storms as it was headed his way. A tornado was on the ground as the storm crossed Interstate 65 and produced a good amount of damage.

http://www.wecre8.com/weather/March13thTOR/

Now a photo graph of the SAME long track supercell with a tornado on the ground as it crossed the MS/AL line into Lamar County, AL near Vernon. The following pictures are via Alabama's ABC33/40 and it's viewers.

lamar1_550.jpg

A photo of the torando crossing Interstate-65.

i65_550.jpg

Torando on the ground passing north of Jasper..

jasper2_550.jpg

Tornado moving across eastern Walker County.

unknown_550.jpg

It will definately be a long day for the BMX storm survey team.

Most of them are images. I do believe that there may be some videos out there, but it will probably take a few days before most are brought to the surface. I will check on that, Bill.

Most of them are images. I do believe that there may be some videos out there, but it will probably take a few days before most are brought to the surface. I will check on that, Bill.
[/b]

One of our storm spotters here out of NWS Huntsville has some video near I-65 in Cullman County from last evening. I'll get to see it tomorrow. Brett, I think it is being shown tonight on WAAY 31 TV, but not sure if you can receive that broadcast from your locale.

If I see anything interesting, I'll let you both know.

Andy

One of our storm spotters here out of NWS Huntsville has some video near I-65 in Cullman County from last evening. I'll get to see it tomorrow. Brett, I think it is being shown tonight on WAAY 31 TV, but not sure if you can receive that broadcast from your locale.

If I see anything interesting, I'll let you both know.

Andy
[/b]

Thanks a ton, Andy. How are those storm spotter classes going? Also, check your YIM. :)

To be quite honest, when I saw that last picture, it immediately reminded me of the Petersburg, IN, F4 of 6/2/90, with the overall appearance of the funnel (comparing to the TVC II video).

Back