3/13/05 REPORTS: LA/MS/AL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vicksburg, Mississippi Supercell and Significant Hail

3c448183d314eb5d2b32de4e28597c28.jpg

I chased the long-lived supercell that traversed through portions of northeast Louisiana into Western Mississippi. I departed Monroe, LA at 4pm and quickly observed enhanced towers to the east. By 5pm, one tower rapidly exploded into a supercell east of Rayville, LA and I followed it for nearly 90 miles along I-20. The storm was HP in nature throughout the majority of its life. It had several attempts of sustained wall clouds, but none could ever endure the cold undercutting outflow. I observed large hail numerous times, with the first occurring at 5:30pm 1 E Tallulah, LA. The largest hail measured at this location was 1.25." In addition, winds gusted to 65mph with several power lines down across the town. The most significant hail of the chase was observed 2 E Vicksburg, MS at 6:05pm. I measured hail up to 2.25" with some stones likely larger. The hail resulted in moderate damage to my vehicle, with several spider web cracks on the front windshield, a busted taillight, and many more dents to add to the collection. Large hail continued as I shifted eastward into Edwards, MS with more 2"+ stones. I ended the chase east of Edwards as darkness set in.

More photos will soon be posted on my webpage.

Scott Blair
http://www.targetarea.net/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back