2024-05-22 EVENT: TX

Matt Hunt

EF3
I know I'm not the only one who didn't make the trek to Iowa yesterday, and instead got in position for today in TX! The cold front is expected to continue to sag south in the morning, then stall out over N TX this afternoon. South of the front, rich moisture is in place with dewpoints in the low to mid 70's, even hitting 80 in south TX! This is going to lead to extreme CAPE values of 4000+ (even seeing 6000+ in some areas). The dryline will push east, reaching about the Big Spring/Sweetwater area by early afternoon. Upper support is better than I had initially expected with 50-60 kts at 500mb out of the WSW.

Minimal capping means early initiation along the front. Storm to storm interactions will be something I'm watching today, as an outflow boundary could foster a local environment more conducive to tornadoes. I'm anticipating the majority of the front will be quickly evolving to an MCS with so much storm coverage. Likely gorilla hail with these storms, so I'll be staying away from all cores! Planning to target the intersection of the front & dryline near Abilene/Sweetwater by early afternoon. Currently in Childress, will start heading south after breakfast.

Back