2018-05-23 REPORTS: MT/SD/WY/NE/KS/TX/NM

I decided to target the western portion of Nebraska today, in hopes that storms could tap into a relatively moist axis near/north of I-80, as we have not had dew-points get into the mid-50s or higher in the High Plains too many times this year. In order to minimize driving, I ruled out the farther north (for a while I was eyeing South Dakota) and south targets, but I'm looking forward to an array of posts in here, especially any y'all might have from New Mexico...

One storm in particular in far northeastern Colorado got my attention and I zeroed in. For a short time, the storm had a well-defined base with weak rotation, but it was high-based and seemed to show varying amounts of organization. Another cell popped up just to its east and interestingly enough, the two storms almost criss-crossed paths. Steering currents were a bit ill-defined, as outflow boundaries seemed to come into play. Overall, storms moved from south to north early on, but these cells seemed to vary from NNE to ENE movement.

The first photo opportunities came in a field south of Lodgepole, NE, where some horses took a fancy to either me or my vehicle. At one point, a bunch of them came up to the fence and were looking in the direction of my car... Anyway, even though the storm wasn't particularly well-organized, it's always a positive if I can get a solid photograph or two.
180523a.jpg
The two storms mentioned more or less congealed into a cluster that showed transient supercellular characteristics. I followed the northern portion of the storm into Oshkosh and drove into quite a bit of hail on NE-27. The road was slushy and despite intense radar returns, most of the hail was sub-severe, but there were copious amounts of it. I came up to Oshkosh Country Club and noticed that the fairways and greens were covered in a layer of hail. Although it's not perfect, my car's thermometer is reasonably reliable and it pegged a low temperature of 46F during the peak of the hail. It was so chilly that I didn't even want to spend much time outside of the car.
180523b.jpg
The chase continued on with this storm, but I decided to back away a bit to try to get more structure photos. I was a bit too close to grab the whole structure of the storm, as some chasers did from Ogallala/Big Springs, but near Lewellen, I was able to catch a pronounced hail core with the storm.
180523c.jpg
The storm continued on, but it was far from a classic supercell (the tornado threat was close to zero) and after drifting farther and farther away from the hotel (I booked early, knowing that with many chasers in the Ogallala area, I did not want to be too late), I called off the chase. The storm intensified right around 02z and was probably dropping very large hail in the vicinity of Arthur, but I was more intrigued at the prospect of catching a sunset over Lake McConaughy. I've ended up in that area several times already this spring, but not at sunset yet. I snapped off one final photo before calling it a night.
180523d.jpg

I was on several storms in eastern NM and just into the TX Panhandle, but the two best storms took similar tracks between Logan and Nara Visa, NM dropping large hail and upwards of 4 inches of rain. The first of these two formed around 3:00 south of Logan and quickly intensified to drop up to golfball hail just NE of Logan around 3:30. Here is a stone slightly smaller than that about 5 miles NE of Logan:

IMG_3017-e-st.jpg
Since the storm was right on 54, I waited a bit for it to weaken before punching through to get the front view. But once I did, other storms in TX that appeared stronger got my attention (mistake!) so I crossed through Nara Visa into TX. A little way into TX, while on the next storm east, I saw this looking NW:

IMG_4191-cr-e-fb.jpg
Other chasers I talked to later confirmed that this was rotating, and there was a funnel, too, which I may have also gotten on video but from 20+ miles, hard to tell. No touchdowns, though. This was around 4:45, as the storm went SVR warned, with mention of the possibility of a tornado as well as large hail and high wind. Needless to say, I booked it back to this storm. It looked pretty intense for a while longer, but then gradually weakened. But it was pretty in the weakening phase, when I got my favorite pic of the day:

IMG_3059-e-st.jpg
The reason it was weakening was probably due to an explosion of new storms to the south. These eventually took a similar track to the first storm, but this time it was a large cluster of intense storms with an embedded HP supercell. Here are a couple pics:

vidsnap4-52318.jpg
vidsnap5-52318.jpg
This was taken through my windshield just before sunset. I think it was just a scud column, but there could have been a transient funnel in there - too dark and a little too far away to tell. When I came back up out of the canyon the road drops into in front of me, it was gone.

I will post a full report on my Web page as time allows.

Back