2016-07-16 EVENT: SD/NE/MN/IA

Listen here you slack-jawed maggots. Chasing on a day like Saturday will turn you into a meteorological tyrannosaurus.

NAM, GFS, and even the SPC SREF are all going nuts for tomorrow from about 21Z until 06Z. As Jeff correctly pointed out, all of them seem to be producing a strong meso-low ahead of the trough overnight, which pushes into the target area and has a trailing warm front / wind shift to the southeast.

We've got plenty of CAPE as long as crapvection clears, 0-3 SRH is in the stupid zone, with 400+ across the target and 700+??? overnight once the LLJ kicks in. LCL's look good, Td's are good, 500-250 winds are WAY above normal, but it's highly contingent on the amplification of the trough overnight. There is a little vort-max over the area as well. NAM 4km, my baby from 2014, doesn't agree totally. It puts the complex over Nebraska all day long, which cuts off the return flow and ruins the day for everyone until after dark, at which point the LLJ turns central NE into night of the twisters again.

So what do we do? I'm going to wait until 06/12Z NAM before i decide if I'm going tomorrow, but I'll likely find myself in NE Neb somewhere around Norfolk, hoping for discrete cells forming along the intersection of the LLJ and surface boundary. As for the rest of you, target the Spencer / Aberdeen / Pierre Triangle and I think you'll be fine. This area has consistently been the best area for sig-tor ingredients run to run for a while now.

My target: Norfolk, NE up to Yankton, SD. Better spot but too far: Pierre to Aberdeen, SD moving SE overnight.

P.S.: If I'm really lucky, the surface front will stall over Omaha way far out from the low where 10m winds will be near 30mph. This setup reminds me a lot of a training sig-tor setup back in 1995 during the middle of the summer. Took out the high school in bennington if i recall correctly. Also, was the best lightning show I've ever seen, so even if the TOR's fail, this could be one of the best lightning shows in years.

Update: All the models have pulled everything way west over western SD, NE and up into the foothills. This is far far removed from the ideally backed winds along the warm front that was supposed to happen. For those of you going out, there is still a decent isolated chance over central SD near Pierre like I suggested, but the best dynamics remain out near Mobridge up into the foothills. Another area of convection might pop over the sandhills in NE along the stationary front that hasn't moved a bit. Temps in Omaha are still <70 in most areas, and although wind profiles look great today in E Neb / SE SD, i don't think the upper level support will move in early enough to get pops before dark. The MCS that was forecast to move over SD is a half a state north of where it was supposed to be, and the trailing warm front never got moving. I could be wrong, but right now the models are saying just another high plains hail mess today followed by MCS or two.

On the plus side, this means the front will be lagging behind the forecast for tomorrow, so the upper miss. and missouri valley areas could see some decent storms.

Back