2015-1-27 MISC: Northeast US

Historic snowstorm for the Northeast on Tuesday with models showing <980MB low and +2" liquid equivalent QPF. Quite a few chasers heading up there from what I see on Twitter.

nam-jan252015.gif

The trends are definitely going away from some of the huge snowfall totals in a lot of areas. Any easterly trends going forward are really going to cut back on the potential since this thing is already mainly a coastal storm. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the areas on the southern fringes such as NYC don't come anywhere near what some people were predicting in the past 24 hours.

The trends are definitely going away from some of the huge snowfall totals in a lot of areas. Any easterly trends going forward are really going to cut back on the potential since this thing is already mainly a coastal storm. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the areas on the southern fringes such as NYC don't come anywhere near what some people were predicting in the past 24 hours.

Agreed. Hopefully its not a bust. For the chasers sake.

Agreed. Hopefully its not a bust. For the chasers sake.

I think the chasers are still going to get some big snow totals/blizzard conditions, and some great video should come out of this for people who are into winter weather. I'm just not sold on the epic snow totals in some of the areas. We'll see though, maybe the ECMWF verifies and NYC gets buried.

A look this morning at snow totals per the ECM (courtesy of EuroWx) and the 4km NAM. Crazy impressive totals have held pretty steady through many runs. I'm looking forward to seeing how this verifies. As I write, the first snow bands are approaching Boston.
Saw this morning that Brandon Sullivan is enroute to BOS. Do we have any members who are in the area who can keep us updated?

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• getimg.jpg
    getimg.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 222
  • hires_snow_depth_boston_46.jpg
    hires_snow_depth_boston_46.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 228
You can chalk this up as a win for GFS/GEM/RGEM, which were pretty good with the further east/less snow for NYC. Boston still got it though, with widespread ~2 foot totals and some coastal flooding.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product...&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

The wind mainly stayed offshore or over the outlying cape... with Logan only gusting into the 30s and the further inland locations even less. Nantucket did gust around 70MPH for about 15 hours straight though, which was pretty impressive.

I'm getting ready for this winter season. It looks like it will be another bad one too. This season I will likely have a live feed up while on the roads. If you're going to be in the CT area around Waterbury or Torrington, you will likely see me on Route 8, route 44 and route 202.

Back