2009 DCEM Severe Weather Symposium

Wayne Deaver

Greetings Everyone,

That time of year again.

On Saturday, March 21, 2009, Douglas County Emergency Management will be holding their 9th Annual Severe Weather Symposium. The Symposium will be held from 7:30a - 1:00p at the Lawrence Arts Center, 940 New Hampshire.

The Symposium is for Storm Spotters, but is open to the public. This day is designed to train and expand your knowledge in advanced storm development, spotter safety, and the importance of spotter reports. The presentations will include incredible storm videos; experts in the field from the National Weather Service and the private sector, and will conclude with a Round table discussion with local television meteorologists.

Guest Presenters include: Shawna Davies, Storm Chaser - Kansas City; Scott Blair, Journeyman Forecaster - Topeka NWS, Jon Davies, Private Meteorologist & Storm Chaser - Kansas City; and David Floyd, WCM - Goodland NWS.

The symposium is $15.00, pre-registration is required and due by Friday, March 13, 2009.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Here is a link to the Symposium Website for further information.http://www.douglas-county.com/depts/em/volunteering/em_symposium.aspx

Wayne Deaver
Douglas County Skywarn
kc0ysl
[email protected]

I would just like to say, for those who have not attended before, that this is a fun and great little set-up. This will be my third year attending (provided there is not a major outbreak occuring within 300 miles on the 21st :D). If you can make it, I would highly consider attending. Thanks to Wayne and others for putting so much work into this event!

I take that back, IF there happens to be a big set-up on the 21st, I will still be there! I just might have to jet out early though to get to the target area.

Awesome event

2008 was my first year attending the Douglas County Severe Weather Symposium. It was a lot of fun and very informative. It is a good way for anyone new to spotting/chasing to meet others and gain additional knowledge in advance of the coming storm season. I say if you can, you should definitlly attend.

For those in the local area, if you arent able to go to another training event this year, this is the one to attend. Lots of good info for the mobile spotter/chaser. I look forward to being there this saturday.

Back