2006 Chase Tour roundup

Originally posted by Tyler Allison+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tyler Allison)</div>
Sorry for the thread hijack Tim :shock:[/b]

I apologize too Tim, because I'm about to hijack it some more...

<!--QuoteBegin-Tyler Allison

There couldn't be anything more assinine than to wake up one morning and decide you are going to get in your car and start "chasing" a storm. If $1500 will save my wife from having to collect on a death benefit or me spending 5 years wandering the plains by myself looking for a storm it's money well spent.

I couldn't disagree more with that statement. I think it's a horribly unhealthy practice to openly disuade any wouldbe independent, new chasers from getting out there and just doing it. I understand that not everyone is cut out to do things on their own from the start, or aren't dedicated enough to want to get out on their own, but the above quote isn't implying "I", it's implying "anyone".

What's good for you isn't necessarily good for everyone. That's why I don't actively tell people how to chase. I only offer my opinion if I'm asked. I don't post the tired, decade old links by Moller, Doswell, and Edwards about chasing ethics and safety on my website - it's everywhere out there, people know. I think often times many forget to realize that, 20, 30, even 50 years ago, when the veterans of today (that so many new chasers are automatically ushered to) were newbies themselves, they had no mentors, no tutors, no veterans to mirror.

And they turned out just fine.

I will agree with Shane's comments... Remember, I'm not dissing the idea of tours, I'm just saying...

In my personal opinion, you have a greater chance at seeing a tornado by going out youself, on your first season, with >$2,000 in your pocket to go on -- then you would with SOME of the tour companies. Learn something about forecasting, save up a couple grand, and go! If you went yourself, and you have a car that gets good MPG, $2K is gonna last you a solid three weeks on the plains. You can easily get a motel with WI-FI available for $60/night (about $1200 in 3 weeks) and one without it for $40 (such as many Motel 6s). It will be pretty hard to chase for 3 entire weeks and not come back with at least ONE photogenic storm or tornado, in my opinion.

I get lots of emails from non-chasers wanting to learn more. Many of them mention tour groups... I most certainly don't discourage the idea of tour groups, but I do mention the fact that if they had the time and the ambition, learn something about forecasting and go out yourself. Once again, not discouraging tour groups... I am just saying (quite a number of the tour groups listed above are ran by veteran and very expierenced chasers).

Originally posted by Tyler Allison
There couldn't be anything more assinine than to wake up one morning and decide you are going to get in your car and start "chasing" a storm. If $1500 will save my wife from having to collect on a death benefit or me spending 5 years wandering the plains by myself looking for a storm it's money well spent.

Tyler, with all do respect... I highly doubt it would take you 5 years to find a good supercell and tornado, or that you would die. You have a greater chance at dying from a wild deer coming up to attack you while setting up your tripod then you would getting hurt by the storm (given you stay in your car). I would personally guarantee any newbie, that if they read http://www.theweatherprediction.com for just 20 minuites/day for several monthes, then go out themselves for a few weeks... They'd come back with something very nice. They would also have the benefit of feeling they got that storm themselves (even when chasing with a chase partner, you both share the success).

Heck, in the 2-3ish years I chased severe storms in the Great Lakes with my Father, between 13-15 years old, I got several VERY photogenic supercells and a few tornadoes.

I would venture to guess that most people who sign up for those tours have no real plans on chasing on their own. Most probably are out for the thrill and to see a real tornado before they die or have a cool vacation. Hell I don't know.
I am not sure how this thread became what it has out of what it was but I am not surprised it did.

If you are a do it yourselfer read up and do it yourself. However, the best experience I have had was chasing with my bros (as a team so to speak) these past two years. Although that looks to be dying I will take those experiences with me in 2006 and apply them just the same. I guess what I am getting at is if you are serious about really chasing don't chase alone, get a partner even if the partner is a rookie also. IMO, you will find that to be a very quick way to share ideas, theories, and also build close friendships along the way.

Mick

I have gone with Charles and Cloud 9 Tours for 3 years and going for a 4th. I love going with them. John Guyton is a firefighter from Maryland and he is a great driver and is very knowledgeable about storms. I have found going on these tours have help me learn more about the weather than books and computer programs have because you are learning about them first hand. They do cost, but for an unexperienced chaser it was and still is really worth it. As an extra bonus you meet people from all over the world and become really good friends and have fun.

Originally posted by nickgrillo

Tyler, with all do respect...

No disrespect taken. I value peoples diverse opinions and chasers tend to be the independant type :) Nothing wrong with that.

You have a greater chance at dying from a wild deer coming up to attack you while setting up your tripod then you would getting hurt by the storm (given you stay in your car).

ahahah...not a good analogy since I totalled my car not 12 months ago by hitting a deer ;) but I understand your point.

If you have the money to spare I think it is an excellent idea. I just dont want to fork out the big money for something I can do on my own. I knew absolutely nothing about chasing storms and the dynamics behind storms and what it takes for them to develop. However, after just two years of chasing with not much more than wifi, a cell phone, and a weather radio I have much more knowledge about chasing enough to venture out on my own and yet confident enough that I will see something. I am glad I spent the last two years learning as much on my own as I can. Now if I want to take a two week chasing vacation I can do it on my own instead of paying an arm and a leg.

Originally posted by Tyler Allison

:p Well I'd just have to say that is pretty much how I started except it was afternoon - not morning. The tornado warning came over the tv screen at my house in Colorado Springs, CO back in about '93 and I just thought..."Hmm..., I love storms but have never seen a tornado. What the hell. I wonder what this is all about? Maybe I should follow this warning and see what I can see!" The rest is history.

Another thought....what if I had chosen to not follow on that day? Wonder how my life would have been different?

now while Im not interested in a tour as such - Id be happy to PAY for a fisrt class now caster that would:

1. notify me of any nuances in a particular county, ex: road conditions, ect.
2. keep me updated on last minute doppler changes
3. track me and give me guidance

Since I travel alone its tough to keep track all the equiupment that I bring - Id like to have a lil more time setting up with my cameras and a little less time waiting for a download that may never happen on my laptop. Its interesting that someone hasn't capitalized on a NOW casting business amist all these chase tours.
Kinda looking for a really good met/chaser that would like to maybe make some spare cash. PM me if anyone is interested. Dont know what $$ is fair, anyone have thoughts on this? It would save you gas$$$ to say the least, right?
Im not too proud to say "a lil help please would be great" as men typically dont ask for directions, right?
(thanks to the 3 stormtrack volunteers that got me to 6/9/05! - I owe you guys)
-----moderators if this is off topic move it or delete it please, thanks-----

I don't like or want to chase alone. Apart from the usual safety and productivity concerns, the experience is just something I like to share. If you don't happen to have an experienced chase partner, tours are a good way to get experience and have company. For a more personalized and involved experience, a few of those on your list offer their services as guides.

I've personally toured with Cloud 9, Silver Lining, and with Dean Cosgrove. All are thoroughly expert and offer a safe (as safe as possible, anyway) and productive chase experience.

I don't think an individual with no experience or background can pop in his car one morning with fifteen bills in the wallet and stand a better chance at success than a tour. Solo chasing for the newest newbie *might* be more fun or satisfying, but more productive in terms of storms and tornadoes? I don't see how. And I think the potential for those intangibles in those first few seasons is up for debate also.

Every tour operator listed above, even the ones known for blatant dishonesty or incompetence, have a better chance for success than a brand new chaser without any experience or study. All the tours have internet connections, the SPC URL, Wx-Worx---whatever it takes to maybe luck into a storm. And the first-class operators? Those guides are some of the most dedicated chasers around. I don't think that in 1996, I stood a better chance at seeing a tornado than Bill Reid. Looking back, it's a miracle I even found Oklahoma from North Texas. :wink:

There's a dozen mornings each May or June where tour guests are milling around the lobby of whatever Super 8 I'm in, sifting through petrified bagels and acid coffee. They look like they're having a great time, like they're excited about the day's prospects. On a tour, a future independent chaser could concentrate on the sky rather than the road, ask questions about choices the guides are making, study the morning forecast process, and begin to see himself doing these things either next spring or next week. Many independent chasers started by taking a tour, right? Dave Lewison comes to mind; he lived far from Chase Alley and rode with Cloud 9.

Do I wish I'd done it that way? I don't know. I don't mind the way I started. But it seems obvious that tours could be more productive, educational, and enjoyable than going solo right off the bat.

I've had two experiences with tour groups on the road:
2002) a bunch of white vans with IL plates (I'm assuming this was group given the number of cameras) in Harper Co. KS decided to stop in the middle of the road as chaser's were backing off a storm that decided to take a sudden surge at our viewing position. When they finally caught a clue to get off the main road and decided to completely block a south escape road :roll:

2005) As everyone headed to a storm that was dying but tornado warned, a bunch of vans (and other chasers) went flying past us..the driver of one of the vans pointed to the dying cloud. The funny part happened when they came back and we got to laugh at them...they could only point their thumbs down.

I could see anyone who has no idea about the weather or how to navigate take a storm chasing tour. It's a lot better than people jumping in their cars and following chasers (this happened to me in 2005)...they guy who followed me nearly had a head on-collision passing cars just to stay bumper-to-bumper with me. Needless to say, I pulled over and chewed him out. (Sorry if off-topic, but a lot of this discussion reminded me of all this)

I can agree to a certain extent of that... But there is nothing like getting first-hand expierence by getting out yourself. What if their was tour groups in the 1970s and 1980s? There were quite a few veteran chasers out there at that time... They didn't take a tour. I would reccomend tours to people who have an interest in seeing a tornado, and nothing else (no real interest in meteorology or storm chasing). However, to people that "PLAN" on seriously chasing... I soley suggest learning how to forecast convective weather and hit the road... Because there is nothing like first-hand expierence. Even if you have a chase partner, you are STILL out there, first hand and making DECISIONS that will help them BECOME expierenced in the long run.

Why should somebody waste time if they plan on becoming a serious chaser? Read up and get out on the road. I know sooooo many chasers that just left the living room and just went out (that includes myself, Kurt Hulst, Shane Adams, Mike Hollingshead and hundreds upon hundreds of other chasers). It is not very wise to go out if you don't plan on learning about severe storms, but if you want to learn and become expierenced, you have to go out and expierence it.

So, for people who have an interest in meteorology and storm chasing, I recommend just learning something and get started on your own.

I'm closely aligned with Amos's view - that for the true beginner, who is simply curious about storm chasing, but doesn't know much more, they are far better off taking a tour and finding out what it's like. No need to trash the new car in hail, find out you have bad tires and a car that likes to hydroplane, realize after-the-fact that the NOAA weather radio is a good 15-30 minutes old with even the most recent updates, finding out just how slick a dirt road in western KS can be, etc..... Take a tour with a class act company and see the best that it can be. If it has you wanting more - decide if you want the worry-free route or if the idea of the 'hunt' is equally compelling. While you might be able to simply caravan with a group of more knowledgeable chasers even if you have no clue what you are doing, you won't make any friends doing that and could also end up following others just as clueless as yourself.

As for Bill's inquiry, it is my understanding that Tim Vasquez's chaser hotline offers a service like what you describe. I'd pm him and ask about it.

Glen

I PM'd him about it. I'll probably be making a Marketplace post about it in a few days.

Tim

Back