2/24/07 NOW: LA / AR / TX / MS

New tornado warning up on the cell SE of Shreveport. nice rotation is evident on SRV and there is a decent hook developing too. what happened to the original NOW thread?

EDIT: NWS says this cell is moving NE at 60mph!

I am sitting at the Comfort Inn in Greenville, Ms.

I want to go after the storm south of Pine Bluff but do not want to take off after an embedded storm and miss anything isolated that might pop up in the next couple hours. Plus if I left now it would be close to impossible to catch.

Yea, that cell appears to be developing a hook echo on the Soutwest side, and SRV1 is showing a weak couplet forming Southwest of Star City right near Cornerville on State Route 11.

Attachments

• gr.jpg
    gr.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 36
brandon if i were you i'd ignore the embedded stuff in AR and pay close attention to the tail-end charlie NE of shreveport. its starting to look pretty intense!

EDIT: there is rotation now associated with the tail-end charlie and also further up the line in the embedded cell approaching el dorado!

Does anyone have a live web link to any of the TV stations in Shreveport, LA?

really nice hook echo now present with the tail-end charlie. looking really impressive on radar!

EDIT: thats definately the best radar presentation i've seen all weekend! i'd be surprised if there isn't a TOR on the ground.

brandon if i were you i'd ignore the embedded stuff in AR and pay close attention to the tail-end charlie NE of shreveport. its starting to look pretty intense!

EDIT: there is rotation now associated with the tail-end charlie and also further up the line in the embedded cell approaching el dorado!

I am watching the area from Greenville to Monroe, LA and southwest hoping to see some discrete cells firing. A couple looked like they were going to go but the updrafts are not strong enough and they are getting torn apart. I do see that this area to the Ms river is getting a little better clearing and hopefully something will take off. I don't feel like chasing a tail end unless I have to.

I do see that this area to the Ms river is getting a little better clearing and hopefully something will take off. I don't feel like chasing a tail end unless I have to.
I heard that! but right now the tail0end is THE most impressive storm in the nation. IMO the cells across far Srn AR and LA will pose the best threat for tornadoes. aols, just noticed tha SPC has issued a new PDS TOR watch for a large portion of MS until 9:00. looks like it'll be a long day.

This cell is really cranking... GR2AE's new Rotation algorithm is picking up some intense circulation... here is a 3D view

Attachments

• kshv_20070224_1931.jpg
    kshv_20070224_1931.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 52
One big problem is that this cell is about to pass into radar no-man's land. It's rapidly moving away from KSHV and there really isn't another one close enough to the northeast to give a good view. One can see it on KLZK but it's not going to get any closer to that one, and it's not close enough to KJAN yet to be visible. Looks to me like the south-central US could use an extra radar station, right in the middle of a triangle between those three!

currently at tupelo public library...fixin to head west on 278...man, a PDS watch, and just look at the sounding...probably going to see my first tornadoes today...hope so

One big problem is that this cell is about to pass into radar no-man's land. It's rapidly moving away from KSHV and there really isn't another one close enough to the northeast to give a good view. One can see it on KLZK but it's not going to get any closer to that one, and it's not close enough to KJAN yet to be visible. Looks to me like the south-central US could use an extra radar station, right in the middle of a triangle between those three!

BR248 out of Shreveport will not have a problem picking it up for a while still.

LZK should cover it good enough for us to see any mid-level rotation until it gets closer to Memphis!
also, it looks like the cell south of Shreveport is trying to rotate a bit now.

SPC mentions in thier latest MD that the section of AR that our potentially tornadic tail-end is going to be moving through is also the area of highest risk for strong/violent tornadoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back