1974-04-03/04: IL, IN, MI, OH, TN, KY, etc Super Outbreak

Thank you, those images are fascinating. Especially since my father had been with SAC at Wright Patt. up into the 70's. I do remember WHIO-TV well and seeing radar such as that image being broadcast. I posted a little about my experience with the Tornadoes that day. I had forgotten that my Grandmother at the time was a supervisor at Westinghouse in Columbus and was driving a friend home who had a camera with him. He took an extraordinary image of one of the tornadoes while driving somewhere near West Broad St. to the west of Columbus and sent it the next day to the Columbus Dispatch- where it eventually ended up on the front page. It was an amazing (for the time) image of this gorgeous, perfect tornado. Since I was reminded of that by a family member I have thought about writing to the Dispatch and seeing if they have the image still. The next time I saw a tornado as close as the ones in '74 was in Cardington, Ohio in '81.

I lived just outside Xenia in 1974 on a farm. I was 13.

I remember these things: The horses were upset the night before and being strangely 'vocal' and restless so that I went to the barn to settle them late, after dark, maybe around 10pm or so.
The next day early I played with the dog in the acre of grass beside our house- tossing a ball and such. But it felt like I was in some strange alien world as the sky was just this unearthly color and it tinged everything 'stronger' like it was saturating the colors of the grass and even the skin on my arm.

I noticed my arm because the other thing was that the hairs on my arm kept sticking up with these tingles that ran up them. I was 'goosebumpy' all day.

The wind started picking up pretty strongly. It was more gusty than steady. My mom came out and had me go with her to the barn to turn the horses out and open the gates to the bigger acres out back. They ran back there like the devil was after them. I remember the dust they kicked up and how it made little swirls in the air.

Then we went to the house (and the wind was even stronger) to the basement where we had water-bottles, blankets, candles, etc. We always went to the basement before there were any alarms, 'just in case' like my mom said.

I heard alarms faintly then about the time I got to the other wall of the basement where we 'camped out' during bad weather/tornado watches.

Then I heard that sound and I saw 2 tornadoes in the distance, one that came close enough that it stripped aluminum roofing off the barn- which I could also see from the tiny basement window. I remember looking out - the window was just half above and half below ground level (if you understand what I mean) and what the grass looked like straining toward the funnels- flattened. This was in the country to the south and west of West Jefferson.

I can tell more but do not want to take up too much space here.

We moved not long after this. At my new school I saw a girl who looked familiar and we figured out that she went to the same school I had gone to in '74.
Her name was Julia and her father died in Xenia so the family moved away from the memories. Odd that we ended up at the same school again. But weird things happen with tornadoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was living in Athens, Ohio at the time. It was an unusually hot day, and all day long, storms swung west through north of my location. It was three years before I would begin my storm hunting. Around dinner time an amazing mammatus sky broke out, but the real weather moved in just after 11 pm. A strong thunderstorm passed on, leaving winds of about 20 MPH gusting to about 35. Bit by bit the winds intensified, and as this occurred, strobes of C-C lightning arose in the SW distance, curling across the sky.Winds slowly increased till they reached hurricane or near hurricane force from the SW. A tremendous scream filled the air, like a crowded football stadium with alternating booing and cheering. At that point, lightning crested directly overhead, and occasional rifle-like BOOMS from cracking branches rang out. It was absolutely profound. Then winds very gradually began to subside and lightning began passing into the SE and E distance. After another 10 minutes or so, winds returned to 20 MPH. It was like a mini-hurricane and there was some structural damage reported across the County.

This is probably a long shot, but does anyone here have any photos of the damage in and around Guin? I've been searching for a while and I've got a few, but most of them don't show the worst of the damage. The best I've seen thus far is a video from ABC 33/40 that has some photos and video from the aftermath. I've contacted the library, city hall and historical society in Guin/Marion County, as well as the Huntsville Times, but no one seems to be able to help. There have got to be photos out there somewhere.

This is probably a long shot, but does anyone here have any photos of the damage in and around Guin? I've been searching for a while and I've got a few, but most of them don't show the worst of the damage. The best I've seen thus far is a video from ABC 33/40 that has some photos and video from the aftermath. I've contacted the library, city hall and historical society in Guin/Marion County, as well as the Huntsville Times, but no one seems to be able to help. There have got to be photos out there somewhere.

This color 16mm movie film of the damage from Guin may be of interest to you, if you have not viewed it so far.

http://youtu.be/WhbYs5DUUl4

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. Thanks Blake! It's frustrating to have so little documentation of such a significant tornado. I suppose that's the case with many tornadoes though.

I'm not sure how I missed this thread before, but I did. I was 16 and living on the north side of Columbus Ohio. This event is as much responsible for me being a stormchaser as anything else... this and The Wizard of Oz.

I didn't see anything memorable that day. I don't even remember what I was doing. Hell, I was probably at a friend's house smoking pot and listening to Black Sabbath and Rush. What I do remember is that on April 5 the Columbus Dispatch had page after page after page of coverage. I think that of the 80-or-so page edition of the paper that day the first 40 pages were photos and articles about the outbreak. Bit of trivia, which I think I learned from reading the book referenced below: Hank Aaron was playing a game against the Reds in Cincy on that day, and apparently saw the Xenia tornado on his drive to the park!

Here is another web page that might interest some of you. It has been bookmarked on my computers for 13 years:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/extremes/1999/april/extremes0499.html

Anyone with an interest in the Super Outbreak should absolutely read this book:
http://www.amazon.com/F5-Devastation-Survival-Violent-Outbreak/dp/1401352200/ref=sr_1_1/181-4908742-1964827?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1399073757&sr=1-1&keywords=F5+Mark+Levine

Bit of trivia, which I think I learned from reading the book referenced below: Hank Aaron was playing a game against the Reds in Cincy on that day, and apparently saw the Xenia tornado on his drive to the park!

Did it really saw he saw the Xenia tornado? This link says he was at the Greater Cincinnati Airport at the time. The story mentions what would of been the Sayler Park tornado (it passed 4 miles to the west of the airport).

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140419/SPORTS0104/304190050

I shouldn't have posted that without double-checking the book. I found the passage on page 131:

"Aaron traveled with his team to Cincinnati early the next morning. It was April 3. His flight landed in a thunderstorm. ...learned that practice had been rained out... ...Aaron set out to the airport to pick up his father and brother, who were coming in for the historic game. As he made his way, he said, "I saw funnel clouds in the distance."

"At Cincinnati's Longview State Hospital, it knocked a wall onto a thirty-year-old patient, killing him."

There is nothing about Xenia. I suppose I wrongly jumped to the conclusion that it was the same storm that went through Xenia.

Today marks the 41st anniversary of the infamous April 3-4, 1974, Super Outbreak. I'm surprised that no one has chimed in on this event. Since the 1970s historical section is new, I'll get the Super Outbreak thread started, because this is one outbreak that simply can't be overlooked and whose significance can't be overstated.

I was just a couple months shy of graduating from high school when 148 tornadoes swept across 13 states, from the deep South all the way up to my home state of Michigan. While the death toll of 335, give or take, was slightly surpassed in recent years by the April 2011 Super Outbreak, the 1974 outbreak still holds the record for the number of violent-class tornadoes (30). Its record of six F5 tornadoes (Wikipedia cites seven) also still stands.

Digging around a bit online has surprised me with new sources of information, including photos of the tornadoes that I haven't seen before. One noteworthy example is a Facebook group on the outbreak which includes what are, to the best of my knowledge, previously unpublished photos of the Xenia, OH, tornado. Here's one.
10993948_10206389905929176_6285047202167950739_n.jpg

Here is the link to the FB group.

And here is the link to the Nashville NWS site which first steered me to the FB site, and which provides numerous other links I have yet to explore. It looks like a regular gold mine of resources on the 1974 Super Outbreak.

Interestingly, in his paper "Jumbo Tornado Outbreak of 3 April 1974," Theodore Fujita wrote, "There are reports of one F6 and five F5 tornadoes. The Xenia tornado is rated as F6 . . ." (p.2). I guess no one had informed the good doctor that there was no such thing as an F6, though I think he eventually figured that one out for himself. ;) You can read his paper here.

With so much to say about this event, from its synoptic and mesoscale features to its cultural impact to its contribution to our warning system and more, I'll leave off here and let others pick up the ball.

Last edited:
Since I can't edit my original post, I'll make this addendum here. I just found a YouTube clip of the Xenia tornado that appears to be the complete, unedited Bruce Boyd movie. Prior to this, I've seen just the usual all-too-brief footage. This is much longer, and it's quite amazing. You get a good feel for the violent multiple-vortex stage of the tornado as it began to enter Xenia. At one point, Bruce caught a neighbor on film, strolling quite casually across his driveway. Methinks I'd have been not quite so cavalier.

Here is the video.

There is a pretty good scientific re-analysis of the event here:

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/2009WAF2222297.1

This is by Steve Corfidi et al.

Inronically, the event was just one month before the first geostationary weather satellite was put up. Incredibly widespread and rapid development of the warm and moist sector with still some mystery associated with a possible undular bore or gravity wave.

I'm bumping this thread today because we are one day short of the 50th anniversary, plus, there is a pretty good chance of another serious outbreak in almost the same area today.

Note the significant overlap between the areas impacted in 1974 (as mapped by Ted Fujita) and the hatched tornado risk areas in the SPC Day 1 outlook (as of 1 a.m.). Only difference is that the risk area is a little more to the east this time around, with eastern IL, far northwest IN and southeast MI more or less in the clear.

I wrote this piece that focuses on Ted Fujita's major contributions resulting from his, and his associates', study of this event. Hope you enjoy reading it.

Back