123 in Death Valley today!!!

Cstok

EF4
Wow! This is pretty crazy. I have never been in heat this bad, but I am curious to see what this would feel like. I have been in Las Vegas when it is the the 110 range, but 123!!!

WWUS75 KVEF 120955
NPWVEF

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LAS VEGAS NV

255 AM PDT THU AUG 12 2004

AZZ002-003-036-CAZ027>029-NVZ016-017-020>022-121700-
DEATH VALLEY NATIONAL PARK-LAKE HAVASU AND FORT MOJAVE-
LAKE MEAD NATIONAL RECREATION AREA-LAS VEGAS VALLEY-
NORTHEAST CLARK COUNTY-NORTHWEST DESERTS-
SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY DESERTS-SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY-
UPPER COLORADO RIVER VALLEY-SOUTHERN CLARK COUNTY-
WESTERN CLARK AND SOUTHERN NYE COUNTY-
255 AM PDT (255 AM MST) THU AUG 12 2004

...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING FROM NOON UNTIL 8 PM TODAY...

A STRONG AREA OF HIGH PRESSURE WILL PRODUCE WELL ABOVE NORMAL
TEMPERATURES ONE MORE TIME TODAY ACROSS THE DESERT SOUTHWEST. HIGH
TEMPERATURES THIS AFTERNOON ARE EXPECTED TO REACH 110 DEGREES IN THE
LAS VEGAS VALLEY...114 DEGREES ALONG THE COLORADO RIVER VALLEY AND
AROUND 123 DEGREES AT DEATH VALLEY.

Wow! This is pretty crazy. I have never been in heat this bad, but I am curious to see what this would feel like. I have been in Las Vegas when it is the the 110 range, but 123

...AROUND 123 DEGREES AT DEATH VALLEY.

Yea, but it's a DRY heat!

There was a fun thread a while back about the max and minimum temps we've encountered. Several folks (fools?) had visited DV in the summer and were quite impressed.
You've got a year to start training for THIS. ;)

-Greg

From Thursday's DVNP morning report (http://www.nps.gov/deva/Morning.pdf), it hit 125 in Furnace Creek - the hottest day of the year so far. If you're hoping for relief at night, forget it. The overnight low was only 98. 8)

Both of those temperatures yesterday were 10-15 degrees above the average for the date at Furnace Creek. Thank goodness it is a dry heat (I'm guessing it's pretty dry because they mention high fire danger for campers - but why anyone would need a fire outside of cooking makes me wonder)...

Jim

Thank goodness it is a dry heat (I'm guessing it's pretty dry because they mention high fire danger for campers - but why anyone would need a fire outside of cooking makes me wonder)...

The humidity has actually been higher than usual out there the past few days - this is why they've been issuing the heat warnings. Dewpoints in the Colorado River Valley yesterday were in the low to mid 60s while temperatures were in the low to mid 110s. So the instead of the heat indicies in the 100-105 range they're used to, they had to deal with heat indicies of around 115-120.

yea DV is great in August - there is a great campsite/motel (only 4 trees in DV) called Panamint Springs where the view are incredible and the place is just hard to imagine.
wasn't but 1 camper there last august (wonder why) and i gotta say exploring those abandoned mines are a blast!
bill

Back