12/30/05 NOW: Tropical Storm ZETA

When will this season end? Just read this on the National Hurricane Center site...

SATELLITE IMAGERY INDICATES THAT AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE
EASTERN ATLANTIC HAS DEVELOPED INTO A TROPICAL STORM ABOUT 1000
MILES SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF THE AZORES. A SPECIAL ADVISORY ON
TROPICAL STORM ZETA IS IN PREPARATION

WOW

This season is just incredible!

There are two last and "lonely" records that need to be broken as all others were...

1). Highest ACE (Accumulated Cyclone Energy) values (1950 was the previous highest) and we only need a few more "kt^2" units to crack it ... Maybe "Zeta" will do it.

2). The first storm to form in one year (2005) and last into another (2006).

Have a happy New Year ... As you track Zeta ;-)

Chris C - KG4PJN

I made a prediction, I believe it was the Epsilon thread, that the last storm would occur near the end of December. Now I shall make another one, the first storm of 2006 will occur in January. Then we will see a lull until spring or summer. But as far as this goes, only two words are proper to describe ZETA: holy ####!!! :shock:

Well, we've got Zeta with us through the new year. Winds are at 45kt, and it's forecast to dissipate/get absorbed within 72 hours.

Jason

More Records

Good day,

More records busted by the 2005 hurricane season, now since we are well into January 2006.

Zeta was enough to bump the ACE INDEX (Accumulated Cyclone Energy) to 244 units. This exceeded 1950's 242 plus 27 named storms is alot.

Second, it was only the 2nd named system to straddle across 2 years (2005-2006) between hurricane seasons in the Atlantic!

Any new system forming between now and June 1 (official start of the hurricane season in the Atlantic) will use 2006's names and not the continuation of the Greek names since that was only for 2005.

It is incredible that the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season ended by the end of the YEAR and not the end of the season on November 30, while breaking records that were never even existant before 2005!

Chris Collura - KG4PJN

Back