11/21/07 NOW: IA/IL/WI/MI (Winter Precip)

Rain Currently ongoing over Western IL, Southern and Eastern IA, and North East Missouri. Freezing Temps are confined to an area West and North of a KARX to KDMX line per 13z Surface Analysis. I'm still sitting at 43 Degrees with some rain. Radar storm totals indicate anywhere from .25 inches, up to .65 inches have fallen in the local area. Looks like rain should hold on quite a while, before the temps will drop to support snow, from NW to SE. 13z surface analysis shows nice moisture advection occurring over the area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Current surface observations and radar indicate moderate banding with snowfall in west central Iowa at this time. Moderate snows and 1/2 mile visibility now occuring in wc Iowa with a rather impressive NW-SE band that has developed. Common reports of moderate snow in EC Nebraska and WC Iowa ATTM....common visibilities between 3/4 and 1 1/2 miles in most cases with light to moderate snowfall. Also according to radar some yellows showing up in the intense band in WC iowa indicating potentially convective snowfalls.

EDIT: Intense snowband oriented directly over Ames to just east of Nebraska City. Expect heavy snows and greatly reduced visibilites in Central Iowa...

Live webcam, Ames

http://www.iastate.edu/webcam/

Webcam showing light accumulations now beginning with low visibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Temperatures have been steadily declining as the morning/afternoon progresses. Had a brief stint of sleet but no flakes yet. Currently 35 here and dropping.

It's been snowing here in Johnson county (SW of Kansas City) for close to an hour and it is tapering off now. All of the grass, trees, and other elevated objects have a nice dusting of snow. Much more than I was expecting so far!

Part of I-80 between Des Moines and Omaha has been closed. I heard the fire trucks and ambulance sirens going off for over 5 minutes in the direction of the interstate from my apartment complex so sounds like a wreck has already occured. Have family trying to make it home but thankfully they are in a Jeep Grand Cherokee so they should be alright.

4" of snow being reported in Des Moines with more snow falling. My dad almost went off the road twice driving up to Des Moines and on his way back saw 8 cars in the ditch and 1 accident. Visibilities were less then a mile as the heavy band of snow moved through.

Farther south several tornado warnings have been popping up. Dr. Greg Forbes said there could be a tornado outbreak with around 10 tornadoes being his guess. Nothing big but mabey worth chasing.

With 4" of snow reported by Matthew in Des Moines, radar is indicating another band of heavy snow backbuilding to the west of Des Moines with another 1-3" likely as the heaviest snows develop and work in over the next few hours.

Here are some pics I snapped of the aftermath of the snowfall near my house. :D

DSCF4473.jpg

DSCF4478.jpg

DSCF4480.jpg

With 4" of snow reported by Matthew in Des Moines, radar is indicating another band of heavy snow backbuilding to the west of Des Moines with another 1-3" likely as the heaviest snows develop and work in over the next few hours.

Here is some of the snow fall reports with 4" confirmed at the airport in Des Moines.

0222 PM SNOW 2 SW CLIVE 41.58N 93.80W
11/21/2007 M4.0 INCH DALLAS IA NWS EMPLOYEE

0222 PM SNOW 1 W CLIVE 41.61N 93.79W
11/21/2007 M3.5 INCH POLK IA BROADCAST MEDIA

FROM KCCI TV

0222 PM SNOW DES MOINES INT AIRPORT 41.53N 93.66W
11/21/2007 M4.0 INCH POLK IA OFFICIAL NWS OBS

0318 PM SNOW ADEL 41.61N 94.03W
11/21/2007 M4.0 INCH DALLAS IA CO-OP OBSERVER

0232 PM SNOW N WINTERSET 41.34N 94.02W
11/21/2007 M3.0 INCH MADISON IA NWS EMPLOYEE

0150 PM SNOW INDIANOLA 41.36N 93.57W
11/21/2007 E3.0 INCH WARREN IA CO-OP OBSERVER

0128 PM SNOW URBANDALE 41.64N 93.74W
11/21/2007 M3.5 INCH POLK IA NWS EMPLOYEE

0118 PM SNOW SAYLORVILLE 41.68N 93.63W
11/21/2007 M3.0 INCH POLK IA EMERGENCY MNGR

MatthewCarman;15680 Farther south several tornado warnings have been popping up. Dr. Greg Forbes said there could be a tornado outbreak with around 10 tornadoes being his guess. Nothing big but mabey worth chasing.[/quote said:
Hardly a tornado outbreak if he said only 10 tornadoes......

Still a cold rain here on the southside of Chicago. Those NNE winds howling off the lake should keep the precip around here all rain since the lake temperature is still well above 40 degrees. Maybe a dusting when all is said and done.

Still just rain here in Erie (about 20 miles northeast of the Quad Cities). Have had a few sleet pellets and wet flakes mix in, but very little. Heaviest band set up out in Iowa. Looks like we'll get an inch at best here now. Too bad this system is moving so fast.

Haha, this is kind of funny. It's still ALL rain here as we near 7:30pm. Back edge of the precip is less than a few hours away. Guess we won't get anything but a skift at best. There is a very impressive band of heavy snow right on the back edge, but that'll move through pretty fast. Hell, if it doesn't change over before long, maybe it'll be heavy rain, lmao!

The latest reports show Des Moined ended up with 5". I think the models were terrible all the way around with this storm.

Hardly a tornado outbreak if he said only 10 tornadoes......

Still a cold rain here on the southside of Chicago. Those NNE winds howling off the lake should keep the precip around here all rain since the lake temperature is still well above 40 degrees. Maybe a dusting when all is said and done.

Dr. Greg Forbes exact words were we could have a small tornado outbreak and I was just repeating what he said.

Was still snowing heavy into about 5:30 here and then it started to taper off. Outside it is dark now but from looking at what was on the ground earlier I have atleast 2-3" on the ground. This system was stronger than I expected.

Back