10/04/2004 NOW: Colorado Front Range

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
NORTHWESTERN ADAMS COUNTY IN NORTHEAST COLORADO

* UNTIL 500 PM MDT

* AT 415 PM MDT...THE PUBLIC REPORTED TWO TORNADOES ABOUT 2 MILES
NORTHWEST OF DENVER INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT...OR ABOUT 15 MILES
NORTHEAST OF DENVER. THE STORM WAS MOVING NORTH AT 5 MPH.

Crazy weather continues.. public reporting 2 tornadoes NW of DIA. No confirmation of this yet, but enough to stir up a TORNADO WARNING in Denver in OCTOBER!!!! I'm stuck at work (I normally don't take days off to chase locally in October), so I'm hoping a local station gets something. If they do, I'll post it here.

$#%&@! :lol:

***LATER EDIT***
Channel 9 News in Denver is reporting damage to a cluster of barns in the area northwest of DIA...
The tornadoes touched down just north of Denver International Airport. One funnel appears to have caused some damage to a cluster of barns.

Radar shows cell with 60DBz on it right now. Hehehe.. crazy!

***LATER LATER EDIT***
New tornado warning issued for Weld County; another (seperate) tornado has been spotted north of Brighton... preliminary count up to 3 tornadoes in the last 10 minutes...

Tornado Warnings continue for Adams and Weld Counties.. hearing reports of damage in the Denver Metro area..

AT 417 PM MDT...THE ADAMS COUNTY SHERIFF REPORTED A TORNADO DAMAGED BUILDINGS NEAR 104TH AND HIGHWAY 2. NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
DOPPLER RADAR AND THE ADAMS COUNTY SHERIFF INDICATED TWO MORE TORNADOES NEAR TOWER ROAD BETWEEN 104TH AND 120TH. OTHER REPORTS OF TORNADOES WERE NEAR HIGHWAY 7 JUST EAST OF I-76 AND 2 MILES SOUTHEAST OF LOCHBUIE. THE STORM PRODUCING THE TORANDOES WAS MOVING NORTH AT 5 MPH.

Several storms firing along a line from DIA northwestward towards Greeley and Ft. Collins... the tornatic cell in North Denver has produced several reported tornadoes and reports coming in as of now.

Radar echo still shows a decent cell over NE Denver; very small. According to WXTap, the tornatic storm north of DIA doesn't even have a MESO.. no TVS or anything.. goes to show how odd the weather can be around here..

The storm near Hudson has a MESO with it, but no damage reports from this storm, as it is currently the Weld County-warned storm.

Velocity echos do show a couple dots (literally dots) of sheer in this storm. Zooming in, you can see 2 areas of 35K gate-to-gate sheer.. may be where the tornadoes are. Again, zoomed in on 3X to see this (+26 to -10).

Just saw some nice live video on one of the OKC stations that was getting the liveshot from a Denver station... Looked like a small landspout-type tornado. Was interesting to see it rip up some trees and non-significant structures (barns, metal garages/carports, etc)...

Starting to get some images via local news stations.. Channel 9 is showing damage to a barn; channel 7 has images of a dusty landspout tornado. Unreal for October around here!

Tornado warning about to expire for Adams County; no further reports of tornado-related damage have been received, but I imagine the local news stations will be all over it in the coming hours..

Channel 9 News - Denver
Channel 7 News - Denver

Reports of damaged homes in Johnstown and Milliken have been received as well... both towns are located off CO-60 northeast of Longmont...

Weld County Tornado warning continues... Brighton (Adams Co) storm has moved into southern Weld County, right on top of Hudson on I-76.. still continues to be a threat to people in the area..

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION...ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

0417 PM TORNADO 2 NW DENVER INTERNATION 39.89N 104.70W
10/04/2004 DENVER CO NWS EMPLOYEE

0425 PM TORNADO 2 N BRIGHTON 39.99N 104.79W
10/04/2004 ADAMS CO COUNTY OFFICIAL

0428 PM TORNADO 2 SE LOCHBUIE 39.99N 104.69W
10/04/2004 ADAMS CO COUNTY OFFICIAL

0428 PM TORNADO 5 SW HUDSON 40.02N 104.71W
10/04/2004 WELD CO COUNTY OFFICIAL

0440 PM TORNADO 5 S WINDSOR 40.41N 104.91W
10/04/2004 WELD CO TRAINED SPOTTER

0440 PM TORNADO 2 S WINDSOR 40.46N 104.91W

0442 PM TORNADO 3 NE PLATTEVILLE 40.25N 104.78W

0444 PM TORNADO JOHNSTOWN 40.34N 104.91W
10/04/2004 WELD CO LAW ENFORCEMENT

HOMES DAMAGED

0444 PM TORNADO MILLIKEN 40.32N 104.85W
10/04/2004 WELD CO LAW ENFORCEMENT

HOMES DAMAGED

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME...47-c589c01ca7bf

Some pretty awesome video of several landspouts rolling near I-76.. helicopter shots from Channel 9; tornado crosses the road at one point and actually runs over a van! *LOL*

As of now, all tornado warnings have expired.. storms appear to be weaking somewhat and losing their tornatic potential; however, storm north of Hudson still bears watching as it drifts northward...

After the first tornado warning was issued I grabbed my telescope and witnessed the waterspout that crossed Barr Lake north of DIA. At the same time I had the TV on and a close-up of it from the 9news helicopter. The midday area forecast discussion had some mention of the Denver cyclone being present today but of course being October I didn't make any plans! Now I wish I had been down around the airport to get some up close landspout photos! dang! :eek:

It's been a very active year for the Denver Cyclone and the convergence zone east of Denver. This is where the topography of the Palmer Ridge to the south causes a 'swirling bowl' effect and puts a spin on storms that form along the convergence line.

Back