08/13/07 REPORTS: AZ

Someone must have flipped a switch, because the Arizona Deserts exploded lastnight with monsoon storms. Highlights included frequent lightning, high winds, torrential rains and late night sandstorm. I chased for 7 hours from 8pm-3am, shooting many rolls of slide film. As the hour got later, the monsoon storms only increased in strength. County: Maricopa.

Before the rain, the wind was hot and dry with blowing sand. I saw many transformers explode at around 1:30am. I learned this morning (news) that lightning did hit a house in the Phoenix valley, and also a high-rise downtown, traveling down the building structure and starting a small fire in the basement. No injuries reported. Trailers were blown off their slabs in Casa Grande.

Lightning was consistent and frequent just about everywhere. I had a full view of the cell in the Central Deserts, the one responsible for the trailers. The cell grew like an amoeba, and soon the Phoenix valley, foothills, and entire horizon was filled with storms.

A couple things that I find handy- eye protection for chasing in the blowing sand. Electrolyte stamina powder from the health food store is also a blessing in the extreme conditions. Constant hydration is a must-the hot and dry wind is so intense.

Last night was fantastic-I couldn’t juggle my equipment fast enough-I’m looking forward to the next one!

Back