07/27/2005 TALK: New England/Mid Atlantic

Blue box out for most of New England with a line of developing storms over NErn Penn and isold storms beginning to pop from the lower hudson valley NWwd. No warnings in effect attm, but am looking forward to an active early evening here in SWrn Conn.

EDIT: Another severe thunderstorm watch now extends Swd to the Tidewater of VA. Strongest storms over C Penn. and just east of the Capitol district of NY. 90/74 here in Westport with SBCAPE around 3000 j/kg and minimal CIN.

Storms have fired in the higher terrain near the MA/VT border, and will hopefully head my way. Directional shear is quite strong for the region, and if cells can remain isolated they will likely develop rotation - the supercell index is 10 in CT right now! Since the best air seems to be right here in CT, I'm probably going to monitor things from my home computer and then make a dash for any supercell that comes within reach. A risky strategy, since a squall line is almost certainly going to develop eventually, and rotation might be strongest immediately after initiation... But I figure I'll do better by waiting and watching radar for that one perfect cell, should such a cell form. I know from experience how hard it is to chase visually up in the Berkshires. I'm just hoping something worthwhile and long-lived develops... Guess I'll find out soon enough...

I figure I'll do better by waiting and watching radar for that one perfect cell, should such a cell form.

Looks like CT's storm of the day is the one currently over Hartford County. The road network/visibility east of Hartford are not among the worst in the state so chaseability is fairly high for the state; good luck if you go out, Dave.

EDIT: im becoming increasingly concerned over the threat of tornadoes from the Hartford County cell. Low-level rotation has increased in the last few scans. Also a TVS is now being indicated over SErn NY headed my way so we'll see.

No reason to create a reports thread as it was total shite as far as severe weather is concerned (in my part of the county). Aside from their non-severe nature, the storms were great and provided some much needed relief from both the heat and my SDS.

On a side note - the highest VIL I've ever noted in the area is being indicated by GR Level 3 in Ern Hartford County... 81

Yeah, nothing worth starting a thread to report, but I had fun watching a big bow echo/shelf cloud munch my home town of New Haven. For a short time it even had a small rotating wall cloud at the northern end of the bow. Ho-hum stuff by tornado alley standards, but still fun to watch. Satisified my Storm jones for a while, anyway.

Looks like CT's storm of the day is the one currently over Hartford County. The road network/visibility east of Hartford are not among the worst in the state so chaseability is fairly high for the state; good luck if you go out, Dave.

EDIT: im becoming increasingly concerned over the threat of tornadoes from the Hartford County cell. Low-level rotation has increased in the last few scans.

As it happens I was indeed initially targeting that cell, but when I finally hit the highway I looked over to my southwest and saw the tops of some very impressive towers just catching the sunlight, and it was so beautiful that I changed my plans then and there. I didn't really want to deal with rush hour traffic anyway. There was fabulous convection going up everywhere, so I just decided to head for my favorite local storm-watching hangout up on top of East Rock. Sat up there and watched the city get pounded by CGs, coming fast and furious out of a very dark turbulent cloudbase, backlit by the deep orange glow of the setting sun. Nice!

Back