06/12/2006 REPORTS: CO, WY, NE

COMPLETE JUNE 12 STORM CHASE LOG CAN BE FOUND HERE

With Jon and I both working on campus til around 3, we decided to meet up in the labs to discuss heading out. With no MDs or watches for the Denver area, things were still questionable. However, a storm blossoming over southeast Denver grabbed our attention and we headed out from campus and out I-70 just ahead of rush hour traffic. The storm went severe warned for quarter hail and began to move northeast at us as we moved east out of town. High winds blasted us from the south and sent dust over the interstate and slowed up the traffic west of E-470. Soon after, the core caught us dropping penny-sized hail on I-70 east of E-470. We continued east as the storm slowly moved north of I-70 where we met with Verne and Michael in Bennett briefly. We shot north out of Bennett on CO-79 and intercepted the storm's core again in Prospect Valley where heavy rains and hail slowed us up. We documented nickel sized hail in town before continuing east on CO-52 where we turned north towards Wiggins and saw a broad, brief funnel cloud over what appeared to be a grass fire. We continued north into Wiggins where we turned back west on I-76 and dropped back south into Prospect Valley to document some of the flooding in the town. We then tried to chase down the fire, but fire trucks were leaving as we arrived. We stopped again in Hudson to watch a new base and google over the Wyoming storm before returning to Denver.

Left the reports thread open to Nebraska and Wyoming reports for those who jumped on that stationary storm which we could see from I-76 in Colorado.

060612b.jpg

060612c.jpg

060612h.jpg

060612i.jpg

060612j.jpg

I intercepted the initial severe-warned cell just north of Strasburg, CO and opted to follow the strengthening "left-split" cell as it moved northeastward through Adams County. Several intense downburst dust-plumes and an awesome double arch rainbow south of Hoyt as the storm died out. I then targeted a southwestward propogating cell/or series of storm cells near Kimball, NE. These storms were beginning to weaken upon my approach so I targeted the west side of the cells to take advantage of the low sun angle which afforded beautiful views near Keota and Grover, CO. More details and photos here:

http://www.stormeffects.com/recent_events.htm

061206-HoytCo3.jpg

Chased this one too...Back in the exact same places it seemed as the previous day. I never got to the storm on this one...I saw it looking parched dead from moisture, and decided to call off the chase. I got some nice shots of the updraft tower, some dry mocrobursts, and some mammatus from behind a train though. Enjoyed a real nice drive down country roads through roggin into bennett, then went home.

Back