06/09/04 REPORTS: NORTHEASTERN STATES

Rochester Hills, Michigan, United States of Americ
Chased here in MI today, and seen some pretty interesting stuff in northern Oakland and Macomb counties.

Started off towards Romeo at around 1:45pm, with some really dark clouds to the northwest (storm developed south of the Flint storm). As I headed north, I seen what appeared to be a weakley organized wall cloud, so I pulled off onto a sidestreet. The wall cloud was weakly rotating, and passed directly overhead, producing a sound similar to that of water being sucked up (wierd). This cought me off guard, and the winds started up, so I jumped back into the car, just as large tree branches started coming off trees and some trees being uprooted with winds that I estimate to be around 80mph. I then headed back outta the storm to the east, near Richmond in Macomb county, but by this time, the wall cloud had disapeared. It took me about 10-15 minutes to get back outta the slow moving storm, which temps went from a rain cooled 68F to a hot/humid haze of 85F. The region I chose ahead of the storm for the second time was a dirt road along a rather clear area of farmland. In the distance, I could see the wind picking up dirt/dust, and sweeping rain across the field about 4 miles away (to the south/southeast of me), blowing into the town of Richmond. The depth of the dirt/dust was amazing, I would estimate it to be at least 500-800ft deep, and about 5-6 miles ahead of the storm (storm was obviously collapsing)! I could also see numerous trees bending to their limits, with a few small spinups/gustnadoes (no tornadic stuff), as the winds were completely straight-lined at that time. I had no choice but to punch through this area, where I encountered winds of about 80mph-90mph, which is probably the most intense winds I have ever encountered to this date. Winds were strong enough to tilt power poles slightly, down numerous trees, and throw all the construction barrels/signs around, and push small flagpoles over (as I headed towards the town of Richmond), all beneath my eyes. Never encountered any hail, since freezing levels were so high (Rob Dale mentioned this), so I don't see why the NWS put a warning out for golfball sized hail in Oakland county, didn't even see pea sized.

When I got home (since I don't have mobile internet or a cell phone), I checked the radar for the location I was at, for 18Z (the time I seen the wall cloud), and sure enought, I could see what appeared to be a mini-hook echo which lasted about 2 or 3 images (10-15 minutes), not worth a tornado warning. I will post these images a bit later...

[Broken External Image]:http://waveformpc.com/images/RADAR_ZOOM.GIF

Robert

I headed out in Ann Arbor for a whopping 40 minutes during my lunch break, mainly due to the TOR issued for Washtenaw County. Sat at I-94 and Zeeb Rd for a few minutes awaiting the arrival of the gust front. Got 40-45 MPH gusts, and 1/4" - 1/2" hail, but nothing else to speak of. Left the area headed back to work after a few minutes, as it was pretty obvious that straight-line winds along the outflow were going to be the primary concerns.

Headed back to Ypsilanti, another spotter was reporting a possible TOR 3S Ann Arbor. It was fairly close to the boundary and I assume it was a gustnado or downburst. He reported a rotating wall, which I find pretty hard to believe based on the location. I didn't notice any LLVL rotation at all with this cell (which makes sense because wind fields didn't support it).

Back