06/08/09 NOW: CO/MI/WI/IL/IN/MO/AR/OK

Initiation has occurred in IL. Severe Thunderstorm Watch in effect until 7pm. Includes all of the Chicago Metro area. Temps in the upper 70s and low 80s with dewpoints of 65 to 70 making the atmosphere moderately unstable. Supercells and line segments capable of damaging winds, with an isolated tornado possible near the warm front. Storms currently appear cellular in nature. One warning in progress for Lee and Dekalb counties. SRV on the cell shows 20kt inflow near Creston, IL. Warning is for 60mph straight-line winds.

There does not appear to be much CG activity with these storms.

Mods: I forgot to put the word NOW in the title.

06/08/09 NOW: CO/MI/WI

Rather potent cell there with a meso marker SW of Lansing, actually 2 cells but looks like it will act as one. Go take a look MI chasers! :) Severe warned.
Looks like East of Charlotte is place to be. 3 inch estimated hail on GR 3 also. Just lost meso marker though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Potent supercell impacting Lansing attm, with southwestern edge of storm passing along the southern part of the city. Storm definitely needs to be monitored as it is riding the warm front in a favorably sheared environment for possible rotation.

So far storm has produced 1.5 inch hail in Holt and winds "in excess of 75 mph." Looks like Mason might get some good views. Meso is back on GR 3. Note that up to 300 0-1km helicity in the area also.
*Looks like that storm is getting better organized . . . .
**Now it has an ETVS on GR 3.
Wonder about that junk coming up behind it though from the SW. Storm continues to the East. Anywhere from Dansville to Webberville could get some views. SR 52 runs North/South right to the East of the hook. try that. I wonder, looking ahead, if the storm developing to the SW will just weaken this one, or it will get absorbed and eventually we'll see circulation further to the SW.

$$Tornado watch now in the area: " THE TORNADO WATCH AREA IS APPROXIMATELY ALONG AND 85 STATUTE
MILES EAST AND WEST OF A LINE FROM 10 MILES NORTH NORTHEAST OF
SAGINAW MICHIGAN TO 25 MILES WEST SOUTHWEST OF JACKSON MICHIGAN.
FOR A COMPLETE DEPICTION OF THE WATCH SEE THE ASSOCIATED WATCH
OUTLINE UPDATE (WOUS64 KWNS WOU1).

Think that storm is pretty much dying . . . or at least not in the greatest cycle, though meso is back SW of Fowlerville.

Encountered golf ball hail just Northwest of Webberville, MI in Ingham County at 4:05 EDT. Nice! Added a few more dents to my truck and noticed it stripped a lot of leaves off the trees. Lots of stacco lightning to boot. The storm seemed to fall apart as it moved towards the ENE.

See small attachment..I was directly under the hail marker.

Watching for more storms headed in this direction later.

Attachments

• Hailstorm2.jpg
    Hailstorm2.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 53
Get any pics Mike? Meanwhile, tornado warning for Mukwonago, WI, so storms should keep coming into MI too. And hey, that storm you were on Mike isn't quite dead . . .

Get any pics Mike? Meanwhile, tornado warning for Mukwonago, WI, so storms should keep coming into MI too. And hey, that storm you were on Mike isn't quite dead . . .

Some hail video. Keeping an eye on that Barry Co. storm. If it continues to develop..St. Johns/Clinton Co might be a good place to intercept.

So I'm sitting here in Shelby Twp and these storms are starting to fall apart. i don't think that the metro area will get anything except rain. Once again the indian burial grounds are having an effect on the weather around here.

MODS:

Please change the date, it's actually June 8th. Surprised nobody else caught that. We'll certainly be needing a NOW thread for tomorrow as well so this should be changed to eliminate confusion.
Oh, and David Draun also started a NOW thread that also has the wrong date (oddly enough) so they should be merged.

Thanks.

Tornadic storm near Alma in Gratiot county seems to be on the wane as it probably crossed the warm front and into much cooler air.

A line of storms with the cold front crossing Lake MI might make things interesting in a couple of hours. Seems to be holding up well despite the extremely cold lake waters. Elevated storms?

Arriving back in Michigan from out west too late to catch the main action, but I caught the squall line out at the lakeshore near Grand Haven. That's passed now and I'm sitting in clear, cooler, stable air. The CF has entered West Michigan, but folks to the east, heads up--you've got one more round of fun. Nothing tornadic, but some nice lightning.

I know I'm a bit late to the thread, but just passing on some word about the first storm that appeared by Lansing. That cell was indeed tornadic and produced several brief tornadoes in the area of Howell, MI. My father was able to snap some photos, which will probably be available for public viewing in 24 hours (he is pretty strict about securing copyright before distributing his photos).

Once they're available, I'll probably post the links in the post-event discussion thread for this event.

Back