02/26/10 Reports: Northeast Snowstorm

MatthewCarman

I did not see a thread for this event. The Northeast has just had it's 4th big snow storm of the year. This storm was trapped and could not move off shore or west so it is slowly moving north but is blocked by a high pressure system.

Central Park in New York City saw 20.9" of snow and 50-60 MPH winds occurred across the area. 1 million people are estimated to be without power. All flights in the area have been canceled and many people were stranded on interstate I-80 for the entire night. One person said he was stuck on I-80 for over 15 hours in his vehicle. Snow removal is now estimated to cost over 15 million dollars. While this storm was not as bad as the 1888 monster snowstorm it is still a historic storm and it is not over yet. Snow continues to fall in the northeast and another snowstorm is expected for this area next week after a low pressure system moves off the Pacific and over California following the jet stream east.

The storm's normal track has been inhibited by the Greenland Block high pressure system and is now moving northwest. We're due for some snow from this storm, moving in from the northeast! :confused:

Back