Lake Charles blog

For those interested, NWS Lake Charles have started a blog on our website at http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lch. We'll update it when we can with first-hand weather information from right here at our office and from around our CWA.

So far, the highest winds we've had here at the office are sustained at 40 mph gusting to 54 mph. Power was knocked out briefly earlier but is back on now. Portions of Lake Charles are already flooding, despite the northeast winds, due to tidal surge coming up the Calcasieu River.

The NWS office is doomed, based on what I am seeing. I just looked up the elevation for station LCH, which is some 6 or 7 miles SOUTHWEST of Lake Charles proper. The station elevation is 4 meters, or 13 feet. In other words, the swampy marsh land is just south of the airport as well as Lake Calcasieu.

This hurricane likely has Cat 4 surge potential. If there is 20 foot surge, you do the math. Right front quad is headed right for them. I sure hope they can EVAC to a higher floor, if they have one. You do the math.

Mike U

Originally posted by Anonymous
The NWS office is doomed, based on what I am seeing. I just looked up the elevation for station LCH, which is some 6 or 7 miles SOUTHWEST of Lake Charles proper. The station elevation is 4 meters, or 13 feet. In other words, the swampy marsh land is just south of the airport as well as Lake Calcasieu.

This hurricane likely has Cat 4 surge potential. If there is 20 foot surge, you do the math. Right front quad is headed right for them. I sure hope they can EVAC to a higher floor, if they have one. You do the math.

Mike U

I forgot to log in, sorry!

Back