**JEFF WEAR**

Wow...I am completely shocked, and completely saddened. I never knew Jeff, but he was part of the family of chasers we are and I am completely saddened. So sad to lose someone, especially someone young. Reminds me just how precious life really is. If anyone finds out any funeral information, please post asap. If it will be held in Norman, I would like to attend.

From the beginning when reading Jeff's posts on this forum I could tell that he was a true class act. It is hard to understand how a guy that brought as much happiness to the people around him as Jeff did could be taken away at such a young age. My condolences go out to his family and friends. You will truly be missed Jeff.

There is not much I could say which has not already been said. This is a shock to the community and it brings a tear to my eye seeing what people have said about someone they have never met. They have said it best and with them I must agree. Rest in Peace Jeff.

Jeff, this mesos for you.

-gb

Barring an unforseen jog to the right that takes it into the west coast of Florida, I'm strongly considering going after this one. I'll be making a go/no go decision sometime tomorrow. I'd be willing ...

Those were Jeff's last words on the ST forum. I was informed not 30 minutes before reading about Jeff's passing that a friend of mine lost their mother in a car accident this morning. Jeff's words, and the two tragic deaths remind us that every moment is precious...every decision we make, could make all the difference. Never take anything for granted. RIP

I never had the opportunity to know Jeff personally, but always enjoyed reading his posts on Storm Track, especially regarding the California tornadic events. He will be missed and remembered.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Jason Politte

Wow. Being so new here, I feel amost unqualified to post in this topic. I am slowly getting to know some of the people that I did not already know through WX-CHASE. And I had been to Jeff's website before. But I deeply regret that I never got to know him. He was obviously both a credit to the hobby and to humanity as a whole. A man like that will surely be missed.

Apritchard is right. Never take anything for granted. Let's be safe out there.

My sincerest sympathies to Jeff's friends and family, and my thanks for sharing him with us through the years.

This is very sad to hear. I just learned of this on Amos's blog. I only knew Jeff from this forum and the convention. My condolences to the Wear family. --- Rest In Peace, Jeff.

Good day everyone,

I am VERY sad to hear about this. I can only express my best wishes and condolences towards his friends and family. At least he passed on doing what he enjoyed doing.

May he rest in peace and chase for all eternity ... No traffic jams, no roadblocks, no busts ... Just beautiful storms forever.

What amazingly sad news. My deepest condolences to the Wear family and friends. While I did not ever have the pleasure of meeting Jeff, I too enjoyed his contributions to the chasing community - and he will be sorely missed.

Glen

Though I never met him, I did read his posts and enjoyed his experiences through ST. I pray for his family and friends through time time of trial. Requiem in Pace.

I can't say anything more than what has been said, though I feel compelled to repeat it: Jeff will be greatly missed. I thoroughly enjoyed not only his presence on this message board but reading his chase logs on his website. Though I never had the pleasure of meeting him personally, his loss has no less affected me. My prayers are with Jeff's family.

Gabe

I was one of the first ST people to find out about this, I guess. I read Karen's post in EE before she had the chance to re-post in W&C. I was slightly inebriated at the time, so I figured that's why I was almost brought to tears. Nope. Its the morning, and this still really hits hard. I never knew Jeff beyond seeing his posts on ST. I had never gone to his website, never met him at a convention or in the field. Now I regret that.

For all the bickering, mockery, and ill-will that goes on among chasers, both on and off the board, its refreshing to see that for a moment at least, we can set aside our pettiness and express our hearfelt condolences for a fallen homie. The storm chasing "community" is more like a slightly dysfunctional family. We never get along with each other, but we all band together in time of need. Our family has lost a brother today, one who brought a lot of heart to our hobby.

I think most of us, when we die, hope that the people who survive us remember us fondly. That we have made an impact on those around us. Jeff Wear was fortunate enough to have done that. His family doesn't need to wonder "did his life make a difference?" So far this morning, 40 people have already replied expressing the loss they feel. Most of these people have never met Jeff, such as myself, but the fact that the loss is no easier to take is a profound indication on the effect he had on all of us.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Jeff Wear...

Ben

Jeff Wear, with user ID #3 and none before him, is the very first person who comes up in our user list (even before me, as I had wiped out two earlier versions of my administrator account). This also indicates he was one of the very first members of the ST board (if not THE first). Good to see he will keep a position of honor.

He accrued 967 posts, which you can read here, or look at his profile.

Tim

Yes - it's the morning - and no, a loss like this will not fade with time. Not from last night to his morning - and not from this year to next year. Especially within a community such as the chasing community - which prides itself on caring for others and the camarederie found while under a cloud of water vapor.

Events like this make a lot of emotions and thoughts seep to the surface. Perhaps we should all tolerate each other a bit more and dispell a lot of our bickering (which is only natural in a large group of people). But more importantly - thoughts of the sheer futility - as well as fragility - of life. I am sure all of us on here upon reading this news thought the same thing - "It easily could have been me". Through all the miles we clock in the wee hours between nightfall and dawn, the extended 12 hours drives to get into position, and the determined driving during some of the worst conditions to get where we need to be - we are all at an increased risk of such accidents. Nobody is invincible - and tragic things befall the most unassuming sometimes.

We should keep those who are close to us even closer these days - and news like this drives that home. Try to find a goodness in each day - don't waste your life doing something you hate or hating something you do. At least as chasers - we can say we are trying to live our dreams.

I never met Jeff. When you first hear news like this - it doesn't seem possible - we go into denial. Someone so true and known to us all is suddenly *not there*. As humans we're not really equipped with the hardware to understand that, at first.

My thoughts are with Jeff - and his family at this time of sadness.

Karen

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also like to add that Jeff's family have put out a call for help and information about Jeff's activities before the accident. They are trying to find out if anybody saw him or knew where he was before Monday morning's events.

If you chased Dennis or spoke to him recently, or knew his movements over the weekend after his last post to this forum that has been quoted in previous pages here, please contact his uncle, David Wear, at:

[email protected]

Thank you,

Karen

I first met Jeff back in February 2003 at the Colorado Storm Chasers Convention. I recall him quietly sitting at a table alone when I introduced myself. We struck up a conversation about humerous chase experiences and swapped videos; one favorite segment of mine being the "bird swarm" of 2002 in which Jeff was accosted by a large swarm of Grackles while videotaping a gust front.

Jeff was a very dedicated and passionate chaser, and certainly will be missed. My most heartfealt condolences go out to the entire Wear family.

..Blake..

I never met Jeff Ware, but the Stormtrack flag is clearly at half-mast in his memory. I appreciate his humor from his Member Page:

If I could speak to him now I'd say: "It got you where you wanted to go, Jeff".

Condolences to all of Jeff's friends and family.

Darren Addy
Kearney, NE

I think Karen summed it up very well for me. This is something that ALL of us risk; whether we're the chaser who drives 1000 miles to a target non-stop, or the chaser who drives 2 minutes to get a good view of a storm as it comes into his town, we ALL end up on the roads in the worst of conditions. We've all hydroplaned; we've all risked life and limb to see nature are her best. Unfortunately, a member of our community took the risk, the same risk many of us take time after time, year after year, with a tragic outcome. This fact, along with the fact that he was a fellow Norman-ite, is most saddening. I always got a kick out of reading his "COPUNCH" license plate on his vehicle. My condolences are extended to the entire Wear family, and all of those chasers who know him better than I know of him.

Back