Amazing Rita Image

7 p.m. Visible - RITA

rita7pmeasterntimesept20thy.jpg

WOW!!
Incredible view of the storms imbedded in the CDO. She has some of the best structure I've seen in a while. I just saved a 8km shot of her, but it's nowhere that sweet! Thanks, Beau!!
Angie

Visible satellite images taken around sunset and sunrise tend to be very impressive. You can really pick out the subtle details in the hurricane do to the long shadows.

Are those gravity waves along the eastern side of the CDO?

Nick, is that a Gempak generated graphic? Beau, where did you find pictures of the Bahama's, on your other forum site, you just posted. Does anyone know where I can find cloud heights/tops?

Delayed

Visible satellite images taken around sunset and sunrise tend to be very impressive. You can really pick out the subtle details in the hurricane do to the long shadows.

Delayed again, why now? [V]

Check out tail end Charlie on the east side of Rita, in the feeder band. Does the GOM really have that much energy left that it can support that huge discrete storm, after being passed over by the 'cane?

Yikes.

The GOM is a big powerkeg and it's being tapped this year.

Anyone have links for high-res. copies of these. I can only find small
jpeg copies of copies.

Mike

Originally posted by Andrew Khan

What is that part bubbling up/standing out on the right?

Just an area of enhanced convection... Looks like a large overshooting top typically associated with supercells.

Wow, Kevin. Thanks for the find. Really detailed image, but it's HUGE. Do the size differ in how far away the image was taken, or it just bigger? The files size is 8237.68 KB (8435381 bytes).

Back