Your First Weather Radio-What Was It?

I've owned weather radios for over 30 years. My very first weather radio was a small blue radio from Radio Shack that had a tuner and volume control at the top. What was really cool about this weather radio was that I not only could hear the NOAA broadcasts, but I could also hear marine radio as well. it used a 9-volt battery.

I miss that old radio. :( I wish I could find it on Ebay. My current weather radio is a yellow Radio Shack Sports Weather Radio Alert with 7 channels and an alarm. It uses 3 AA batteries. I've had it for about 8 years now. :)

In my lifetime, I've owned 3 weather radios, and all were from Radio Shack. :)

I've almost always used either a scanner or a multi-band radio to monitor these channels, however I did buy a weather radio once from Radio Shack; it wasn't blue though, I think it was one of the white ones. Probably made by Midland originally and re-branded.

My first weather radio was a retro box. It was literally a cube. The on/off was a white bar on the top. Volume and tuner were on the bottom. No channels; had to turn the tuner and hope for the best. The extendable transistor radio style antenna broke, retiring the radio. We've come quite a ways but this thread is fun stuff.

Never had one.

My first weather radio is still yet to be purchased. I'm usually aware of storms early enough I can just turn on the scanner or ham (with wx freq.), and listen. Didn't see a need for another gadget....but that's just me. I do wish (and maybe the new one do), have the ham radios with the SAME codes so they turn on just like the wx radios

First Wx radio was the very first model Radio Shaft put out. I have had almost every model, but now like the Oregon Scientific and Midland models

My first weather radio is still yet to be purchased. I'm usually aware of storms early enough I can just turn on the scanner or ham (with wx freq.), and listen. Didn't see a need for another gadget....but that's just me. I do wish (and maybe the new one do), have the ham radios with the SAME codes so they turn on just like the wx radios

On my ham radio, I can have my radio on a certain frequency, while my radio is monitoring whatever wx frequency I have it on, without me actually listening to that wx channel. If I have it on alert mode and a watch or warning goes out from that wx channel, I get a loud ringing tone and the broadcast comes across and interrupts whatever frequency I'm listening to. I hope that wasn't too confusing.

Back