WTB: DSLR on a budget

I'm looking to buy my first DSLR. I'm not new to SLR shooting, I had a Minolta XG-1 35mm years ago (got it for my 13th birthday) and I loved it. I collected all sorts of glass for it too over the years, but it eventually developed a problem with the mirror mechanism and I couldn't afford to get it fixed so I sold it. Been using point and shoot digitals for a while, and now I want to get back into real photography. Problem is I don't have a lot to spend on it.

I was wondering if anyone out there has recently upgraded (or is thinking about upgrading) and wants to part with their old setup on the cheap side. I'd really like either a Nikon D3100 or a Canon T1i, with a 18-55 and 55-200 (or 300) lens to get started with. I really can't afford more than $500 for everything. I also have a few things to maybe trade (two PSP's, Pioneer car stereo, MSD ignition system, some other stuff), so maybe we can work something out that way too.

Shoot me a PM if you can help me out!

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are probably dreaming if you think someone is going to part with a newish camera and a couple of lenses for that kind of money. In any event, to part with the lenses one would normally be changing systems (or be dead) or they would keep the lenses to use with an upgraded body.

You owe it to yourself to compare the Pentax K-x. You can get both lenses you want and a a body NEW for only about $100 more than you are budgeting for used. (Woot had that deal up until yesterday for $609 and a one-day deal on the basic kit/lens for $439.) In addition to excellent performance (and the same sensor that Nikon puts in their 5000) you can use "old school" Pentax K-mount lenses on it, which is a really fun and inexpensive way to enjoy more lenses without breaking the bank. Pentax is the only DSLR maker that you can do that with, without some adapter. Also google Pentax and "green button". Their hyper-program and hyper-manual system is functionality no other maker has, to my knowledge. Love my Stormtrooper K-x. STILL most bang-for-the-buck out there.

In addition to excellent performance (and the same sensor that Nikon puts in their 5000) you can use "old school" Pentax K-mount lenses on it, which is a really fun and inexpensive way to enjoy more lenses without breaking the bank. Pentax is the only DSLR maker that you can do that with, without some adapter.

You are correct, Pentax is the only camera system that you can mount Pentax K-mount lenses on without an adapter. However, I have never used an adapter to mount my old manual focus Nikon Nikkor F-mount lenses on my Nikon DSLR's.

My intial impression was the same as Darren's, being that for $500 the T1i + lenses was a huge stretch. I checked thru a Canon forum I am on (I know, shocking that the "search" feature is used, lol), and was surprised to find that in the last 60 days, a couple T1i's + the 2 lenses went for $500. I personally would not let that combo go for that low when you consider the 18-55is is about $90 used, and a 55-250is should be $160 or so used, which would take the price of the body down to $250. Heck, I sold a mint low mileage Xsi body only with about 9k clicks a few months ago for $375. I think you'd have to be combing thru places like Fred Miranda or POTN looking for a deal like that, and be ready to jump on it, because otherwise, I'd expect to be looking in the $650ish range for a T1i + 18-55 + 55-250.

Only thing I can offer is a XT with some mileage, needs a little cleaning and comes with a 28-80 lens in "OK" shape for around $325 shipped. I was going to put it on eBay, but saw your post, figured I'd offer it real quick. I have my 7D now, so don't really need it. I wouldn't mind keeping it either, just as a secondary, but I can also get a cheap $80 P&S for the stuff I'd shoot with the second camera.

Adorama has a refurbished Nikon D3000 DSLR with a Nikor 18-55mm lens for $374.95, which might be a good starting point. You could add to it as budget allowed. (I'm partial to Nikons.) The link for this camera is:

http://www.adorama.com/INKD3000KR.html

I made my first foray into digital photography with a Nikon D40x, then once I got my feet on the ground I bought the Nikon D300 when it came out and gave my D40x to my son-in-law. I added lenses as I had opportunity, and am now rather satisfied with my setup. The point is to start out maybe smaller than you would like to, based upon what you could afford, then upgrade as you have opportunity.

If I ever win the lottery, I'll be ordering a Nikon D3X.... :)

check your local craigslist, there's always some good ones on ours here for reasonable prices.

I appreciate the feedback, I know it's a stretch for just the $500, that's why I said I have some things to trade too.. ;) But I figured it was at least worth asking.

Darren - I honestly didn't consider Pentax because I don't know anything about them. The specs and reviews look good on that K-x.. And I like that it comes in colors.. :D Thanks, now I have something else to consider. "K mount" lenses I assume are 35mm autofocus lenses?

Jason - Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass. I'd rather not start out with problems, you know? :D

Why oh why does no one mention the BEST camera system on the market in terms of bang for the buck? The Sony Alpha series?

This series carries its lineage from the Minolta Maxxum series of cameras from the 80s.

Sony bought up Minolta shortly after they released their 1st DSLR to the public. What makes this marriage so great is that Sony stuck
with the Minolta "A" Mount in their present camera designs. What this means is that the Alpha is compatible with the MILLIONS of Minolta Maxxum
AF lenses manufactured from the early 80's to until they closed up shop.

The early lenses in the Maxxum series are some of the best bargains in photography today. A 50mm 1.7 prime lens manufactured in the 80's will set
you back between 75-100 bucks and it still remains one of the sharpest lenses ever manufactured. Couple that with the Alpha's in body stabilization
and it becomes a great system worthy of attention.

Don't let the age of the lens fool ya, I have 25-28 year old lenses that look just as great as their present day counterparts. And I can assure you, for what you spent on one lens, I bought four.

You should have no problem finding an Alpha a200 or 300 with a couple of lenses for less than $500.00

One of Sony's most current releases, an Alpha 580 body with unbelievable ISO Sensitivity of 12800? will run you about $800.00

Don't take my word for it, check it out for yourself....

Back