Would you rather PT 2

Which option?

• Option #1

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • Option #2

Votes: 26 56.5%

• Total voters
So here's a question for everyone. I'm actually about to face this fork very soon before this season starts. I opened a poll for this one.

Option #1: Would you rather have a paycheck-to-paycheck job that is flexible with you chasing when you want?

Option #2: Would you rather have a job that pays well and only let's you chase when you plan vacation ahead of time?

I would say option 1, that is basically what my situation is now. It would be very frustrating to plan chases ahead of time and not have any storms during that time period.

I've turned down option #2 so I could have #1. All the money in the world doesn't mean squat if I can't do the one thing I love most.

I've been living the #1 choice since around 2003. Freedom and flexibility are precious things to me, worth their weight in gold!

I thankfully do better than just paycheck to paycheck most of the time (though it is nowhere near what a good 9 to 5 would get me), but the nature of my employment is that inevitably, there are some precarious lean times. I'm never guaranteed a paycheck more than a couple of months in advance (if I don't work, I don't get paid). It's a little scary at times to not have the security of a steady paycheck, with the future planned out no farther than my few months' savings. But at the same time, if I worked a 9 to 5, there are no guarantees that a layoff or downsizing wouldn't take that income either at a moment's notice. It happens to others all the time.

A large part of my life structure is that I have tried to build in some redundancy in my income streams so that if one drops off, I can switch gears to another one. I've found that is essential. Choosing option #1 requires backup plans. At one point I did have to do a 9 to 5 gig for a while when my normal income streams dried up for an extended time. Right now, I literally have six different "jobs". Three are company employers and three others are my self-maintained income streams. The three company employers have been exceptionally great to work with in granting me the flexibility. Without them, I couldn't pull this off.

Living this way doesn't mean I can chase everything, though. I may have unlimited flexibility, but I don't have unlimited money to chase. I have less disposable income than the average well-off 9-to-5er. This means cutting back on other areas (lifestyle, luxury, other hobbies), driving a fuel-efficient car and not living in posh apartments or houses. This also means I have to make sure that things like camera purchases/upgrades and some chasing expenses are paid for with video/print sales.

In the end, I'm quite happy this way, and have no plans to change unless life takes an unexpected turn that requires otherwise.

I've been living option #1 for years now, and I'm pretty tired of it. I prefer option #2. I like chasing, but opportunities only come by so many times a year, and that's far less than 50% of the year. The rest of the time has to be spent doing something, and I don't enjoy living like a hobo for >50% of the year just so I can chase the few times that come up in a given year. I've missed big events before due to job requirements. It's like getting out of the first relationship in which you fall in love: it breaks your heart, but then you realize the world didn't end, the sun came up the next morning, and you got over it and moved on. The next time it happens it doesn't feel so bad. So it doesn't bother me as much as it once did. I'd rather go with the more likely comfort option at this point in my life. To me, chasing just isn't worth that kind of financial discomfort and endurance.

I'd rather have option #1 in some ways, but I've been living with option #2 and I can't complain at the moment. I get to take off two weeks in May and two weeks in June plus a few personal days when I need it so it could be worse. I have to pick my vacation time in December for the following year so I'm always extremely nervous with how things will work out. I'm going to have an issue coming in the next year or so with moving to a different position and losing seniority with vacation picks which means I won't have a spring/summer vacation for several years. I've put it off for a long time strictly because I won't be able to chase much at all besides weekends, but eventually I'll have to think long term a little bit more. It might be worth it to sacrifice a few years of chasing opportunities to gain more down the road.

Great topic Marcus! I moved to a place where I'm not far from most chase setups in 2007 and started working option #2. It was only this past year that I started working option #1. I have 4 days off per week plus I can take vacation days on short notice. It just figures that the first year I am able to chase a lot is one of the worst years in memory for chasing.

I'm 32 years old and getting to the point where I'm settling down and going to be married and starting a family soon and as the sole provider I'm trying to move back toward option #2 so that's what I voted. As much as I love chasing, family comes first. 25 year old me would have killed for the situation I have now lol :)

My work has always been option #1, even before I was a chaser. It's all I know. The idea of choosing a block of time, and then hoping like hell something happens during that time, bothers me more than just missing out on chase opportunities altogether. Missing out is bad. Missing out and blowing all your chase money/resources with nothing to show for it, for me that would be horrid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked option two. With a wife and four kids, the oldest 21 and the youngest 12, option 1 really isn't an option for me right now. Truth be told, even though I have some pretty good flexibility for taking off on short notice, the thought of every day being an option just because I feel like it is a pretty darn appealing option. Or even having the ability to be out on the road and be able to say to myself "Ahhhh, what the hell. The next couple days are looking pretty good so I guess I'll just stay out and see what happens" is worth a lot.
I'll stick with option two though. The tie-breaker for me is that in five years or so, I'll retire and then every day can be a chase day. Freedom now wouldn't probably have to be paid back with less freedom later

The poll results so far are surprising. I really thought option 1 would run away with it. I guess there's more responsible people than I thought :D

I'm an Option 1.7 hybrid, but I voted #2, because I did set my own situation up for some stability, and probably would lean that way even if it had hurt my chasing schedule some.

I used to work in a private web firm, and had MUCH less flexibility on time. I took week long vacation blocks ending on Memorial day during that phase('05-'06 really didn't go well chasing that way).

Once I got laid off from the web firm, I worked fill in jobs for two years('07-'08) while I tried to get on at the local University. The University offered more time off, I would have medical coverage and a stable income (less income than the private sector, but it respects my free time more, so it's worth it). I had planned to just use 3 weeks every May in a block, but once I got into my job, I made myself indispensable and garnered enough respect in my department to assert my wish for the flexibility.

Since I am in I.T. and can work remotely from the road to address vital issues as needed, my supervisors are great at letting me come to them on a Wednesday afternoon and say: "I've decided that I'm heading out tonight for K.C. or O.K.C. to chase Thursday and Friday and will see you all on Monday. Call me if there are issues, try not to bug me between Noon and Dark." They usually are excited for me and just want to hear the stories and see the video/pics when I get back. I address emails each morning as needed (after I check the forecasts, satellite and surface charts, of course), and take care of any immediate tasks. This usually only eats 5 to 20 minutes of my morning, then it's on to chasing tasks!

Without family or even spousal obligations, my personal situation gives me a lot of freedom to choose setups on this hybrid plan, but can also budget easier with a stable income. Once or twice a year I get stuck not going, due to a scheduled meeting or update I can't do remotely, but I can run 80% of the setups I want to since 2009. (Pilger day of course happened to be one of those missed setups this year, ouch).

I'm retired, so I guess I am option #1. I could chase any time I want, but am limited on how much/often due to a smaller monthly annuity than I would like. Word to the wise...pack as much $$ into your 401K as you can while you are young. Also...don't get divorced because you might be giving a lot of your chase nest-egg to an ex-wife!

I've been lucky enough for the past few years to have a bit of both. Decent paying and steady jobs that allow me short notice time off. More of a "just get your work done" type environment. So if I'm planning a chase, or something pops up on short notice, if I'm caught up, I'm free to go. Not every time, of course, but most times.

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted #2 because that's currently my situation and I as much as I would love the freedom to chase everywhere I would also want to be able to afford it at the same time. I have a great job that is flexible enough to let me chase most everywhere when I want, but there is a limit (which made me miss Pilger last year, tough pill to swallow).

I support a large family and I'm not comfortable with cutting it so close with finances. If it were just me, I might choose #1 but since it's not....#2 wins.

Back