Winter Weather Safety

This may be in the wrong forum, but since it's "educational" it should fit. I know alot of us travel alot for weather and some of you don't live in areas with "severe winter weather". I'm not talking about just snow. Along with this many people (even those who live in such areas) make mistakes that cost them their lives. Well I'd like to cut down on that number, by helping a few people here. Traveling in winter weather in Minnesota is much different than in Kansas. At first glance it may not seem different, but there are many unseen factors that do set them apart. The first factor is the road itself. I've rarely been to Kansas but I do live in Minnesota so I can say this much. Our roads suck. Not so much in the way that there's a million potholes every where, but if you've ever traveled our roads at night in the rain- you'll realize that the lane stripes disappear. In fact, most of the time you have to look for shiny spots in the road to see the actual lanes. This is extremely dangerous as I've seen a few close-call head on collusions because of this. When there's ice on the road it has the same effect, and it takes very little snow to do that as well. We have zillions of little bridges over creeks, drainage canals, and rivers of course. They of course (when paved) freeze first and cause slippery spots. This seems like a no-brainer but every winter I see folks scream across them at blinding speeds just to catch up to them as they're sideways in a ditch with half the paint missing off the side of the car. Just don't do it. As with all winter roads- make sure your car is in good shape, and is properly equipped. There is no substitute for dedicated snow tires. I tried them out for the first time a few years ago- and I'm sold. Normal tires start to become hard and loss traction much easier at 45F and lower. This isn't just a selling point tire shops use- it's fact. Does this mean if you live in an area that gets really cold, but never gets ice or snow- that use must buy snow tires? No, but does it really hurt? Most folks up here keep them on different wheels and swap out around this time of year. My 97 Saturn has brand new ones as we speak. If you must spend a decent time in, or live in areas that get these condition- just buy them. They're cheaper than normal tires, and when the warmer weather hits- just take them off. They get starting traction better, turn better and stop worlds better in the snow and sometimes ice. There will be circumstances where no "wonder" tire in the world will save you. A good example is headed down Main Street hill in Downtown Mankato after getting freezing rain. But then you'd deserve the results as you are an idiot. Make sure the maint is up to date, make sure the engine coolant is the correct ratio for cold weather (At LEAST 40 below zero). Make sure the belts are in good shape. A bad belt in the Minnesota deep freeze will break with ease. Ask folks who live in Alaska about this if you don't believe me. Make sure you have a few gallons of ice melting washer fluid (with some in the vehicle's washer bottle:rolleyes:) and a few ice scrapers. Good quality ones too- not the Walmart junk. I found one that has a metal edge for ice works best on glass- just be careful not to tear up the rubber window seals. Wanna follow the advice of MSN Auto gurus and just drive off, soon after starting in the cold? I don't care two dumps if newer cars warm up faster. Driving an engine with cold oil is a recipee for disaster. Oil like water, doesn't compress well and when you start an engine the oil pressure is very high until the oil gets warm/hot. When you start that really cold engine up and speed off the higher rpm's also translate to higher oil pressure and sometimes that can blow out seals and gaskets and be a pain in the arse. Your transmission will also thank you for the same reasons. Yes, you'll use just a little extra fuel in the morning (negligible) but if you're really concerned about the enviroment- understand that driving an engine whilst cold uses more fuel as the injection system is in "open loop" and is running VERY rich and that burns alot more fuel. NOW, onto the stuff you need to keep in your car at all times during the winter in the colder states.

1. Ice Melting Washer fluid. (Trust me- you'll thank me)
2. Set of Triangles/ Flares. I prefer Triangles as they don't burn out;)
3. Ice scrapers and a small shovel. Must haves, really.
4. Extra set of warm clothes and gloves, possibly boots.
5. A heavy blanket. If yu run out of fuel somewhere, and can't get help right away, you can freeze to death while waiting for help. This happens almost every year.
6. Some food like energy bars. They give you basic nutrients and use alot of calories to digest= more body heat.
7. Water. Now this one is contriversal as people wonder how you keep it from freezing. I buy sealed jugs of water (2 gals usually) and wrap them in the blanket. That usually does the trick. Make sure they are SEALED so you don't have a wet blanket.
8. Those little hand warmers. Self explanatory.
9. Flashlight with extra batteries (I prefer lithium)

One thing I see alot that causes accidents on the roads is folks pull off the road, throw on the hazards, then proceed to rest a foot on the brake pedal. Well I have news for you. When you apply the brakes (enough to trip the brake light switch) that cancels out the hazard flash until you take your foot off the pedal. SO, other motorist's try to "follow" you because of the poor road conditions (along with invisible-at-times road stripes) and whammo. Rear end collusion. Happens all the time. Lesson here? Apply your hazards if you pull off the road, and keep your foot away from the brake pedal. If you must run your car to keep warm, try to face it so the hood is facing in the wind. This helps prevent you from dieing from CO poisoning. Last but not least, if you really don't have to drive in severe winter weather- then don't. There's plenty of emergency vehicles that have a hard enough time responding to real emergencies, they don't need you blocking the road. Oh yeah, and don't apply your emergency/parking brake unless you really must because the darn things love to freeze, then you wind up with a car with 2 broken back legs lol:D

Did I miss anything? Feel free to add.
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Potholes, potholes, potholes...

Since the snow has melted away, the streets in the Midwest are feeling the effects of the freeze/thaw process that makes POTHOLES. :eek: People are using a new driving technique called "pothole weaving". This is where you drive down the street with a sharp eye on the road surface. When you see a pothole coming up, you plan a correction either left or right to miss the pothole(s).

The mayor of Lincoln NE recently had to increase their "pothole filling" crews:

http://www.journalstar.com/news/local/article_8ac99b9c-0aa1-11df-ba99-001cc4c002e0.html

Thought it was funny there's a group on FACEBOOK called "City of Lincoln residents who can't stand the lake sized potholes in Lincoln". :D

Back