Why do people drive into tornadoes on purpose?

It's interesting to read these other accounts of close encounters. My record is not clean by any means, but the derecho winds yesterday were likely the strongest winds I had ever been in while chasing, outside of Hurricane Irma in 17. I estimated around 85-90 mph, but hard to really tell in SD. Of course I set myself up with miles of clear fields to my south that I could see any debris coming my way.

We've had more chaser deaths by Freightliner in 2022 than we've lost storm chasers to tornadoes ever. Keep the risks in perspective.

How strong was the wind you were in in Irma?

My concern was that if more people start driving into tornadoes on purpose the death toll of tornadoes will rise higher

I don't know exactly, but Naples recorded like 131 or 141 gust? I would have guessed around 100 MPH maybe. We were in a sturdy parking garage.

Why do you say you were almost lifted? I would have thought that would take way more than 80 kt

I have video from the vehicle behind me, who was also struck, and who was also in TWISTEX. Chris Collura also got video of this incident from the other side of the road. See his reverse angle shot here:

Note: I am the one driving the vehicle that is closest to his camera. I do not appear in the video afterward, and the vehicle you see that has their window blown out was the third in line behind the vehicle behind me.

The cost of new set of windows in my 2022 Ford Ranger would likely cost more than I would ever make off any video.šŸ¤£ The social media life cycle of "I just drove into a tornado" is just a few hours now days. Ho-hum. The new standard will likely be competition to see who can be hurled the furthest by a tornado. Remember that guy who once built the tornado-proof armor. Please pick up the red phone.šŸ¤Ŗ

Back