Who's shooting film this year (or has shot film)?

Rob H

EF5
Just curious who all is shooting film while storm chasing? I don't see many (any?) talking about it.

I just picked up this bad boy:

which takes 6x9 120/220 medium format film. First I ditched the DSLR for mirrorless, now I'm ditching that for old school film. There's probably something broken with my brain, but I love the quality of film scans, and being able to blow up images to poster size is alluring as well.

That is a NICE camera! Wow, manual film advance? Sometimes I go out with both a DSLR & film SLR (slides) But I must say the film camera is not getting as much work as it once did.

Those Fuji rangefinders are sooooo sweet!

I've got a Bronica 6x6 kit that gets occasional use during monsoon season.
Shooting lightning with B/W film is fun and different, but sheer WOW there's nothing like a light table covered with big E6 transparencies. :D
I haven't been to the plains in years, but when I do return I'll certainly drag the Bronicasaurus along for the ride. :)

Last edited:
I still have a Bolex H-16 in great operating condition. One of these days I swear I'm going to take it chasing with me. I know it's not IMAX, and 4k digital is starting to make it's way down to us low budget folks, but 16mm film can still look amazing.

I took my Pentax 6x7 out on some chases this year. I wish I would have put some slide film in it instead of print film. Still came back with some good ones, though.
web_1.jpgweb_7.jpgweb_8.jpg

I've never shot slide film before, and all of my medium format buddies have me terrified of not exposing correctly especially on a difficult, time-limited shot like a tornado. How have you dealt with that, Ben?

Double postin' here, but what is everyone else doing for scanning? That part is starting to give me panic attacks.

I miss film - but mainly for nostalgic reasons. I always have the impulse to go back to film for at least a few chases, but haven't yet been able to talk myself into doing it. I need to see if I can find a few rolls of Sensia to keep in the car for this year. It's the kind of thing I'd do if I'm comfortably set up and have time to mess with multiple cameras.

My old FS4000 35mm film scanner that does a very good job with the small stuff.

With MF, I've obtained reasonable results shooting the transparency with a DSLR and macro lens as it sits on a light table. To prevent glare and contrast loss, you'll need to mask off all the area outside the frame. Stitching together a bunch of close macro shots can give pretty darned good results! If I ever wind up with an utterly killer shot that needs to be printed at Godzilla size, I'll have to bite the bullet and have the local lab do a drum scan.

I've never shot slide film before, and all of my medium format buddies have me terrified of not exposing correctly especially on a difficult, time-limited shot like a tornado. How have you dealt with that, Ben?

Sorry for the late response. I love shooting slide film. It gets me the best colors and tonal range in the negative. I mostly shoot either Velvia 50 or 100 speed. 50 is the best, but you have to nail the exposure to get the best color. I like using 100 for storm chasing and its a little more forgiving if you underexpose the image.

Back