Where to Mount Anemometer?

Hey all,

I made an experimental anemometer to see if it would work. the only place that I can mount it is on the porch roof. I would like to put it on the tallest roof (40ft-60ft I don't know how tall exactly) but I don't have a ladder long enough and the ppe required. If you fall from that height it's game over. where is the best spot to mount it? My house is the one on the left. Pictures in the next thread post :)

Ryan

Mounting on the porch roof wouldn't be ideal as far as getting accurate measurements. If all you are trying to do is see if it works at all, it'd be fine. Maybe you could mount it on top of a pole extending from the bottom edge of the upper roof. The pole would get it higher up so the roof and trees interfere less, but the mounting point might be more manageable if you can get onto the porch roof with a more stable ladder. Another idea would be a taller pole extending from the ground up following the gutter line. It could be support by the house itself. I know when I was researching before installing mine (I have a 10 foot pole anchored to one of the main fence posts in my yard) there are tons of creative ways online to get it done. It all depends on how far you are willing to go.

Mounting on the porch roof wouldn't be ideal as far as getting accurate measurements. If all you are trying to do is see if it works at all, it'd be fine. Maybe you could mount it on top of a pole extending from the bottom edge of the upper roof. The pole would get it higher up so the roof and trees interfere less, but the mounting point might be more manageable if you can get onto the porch roof with a more stable ladder. Another idea would be a taller pole extending from the ground up following the gutter line. It could be support by the house itself. I know when I was researching before installing mine (I have a 10 foot pole anchored to one of the main fence posts in my yard) there are tons of creative ways online to get it done. It all depends on how far you are willing to go.
I was thinking about that upper roof option. I might do that one :)

One thing to keep in mind, whether it is the test anemometer or the real thing is to ground that pole. Grounding will help discharge any static build up. Any pole you use is going to have some sway to it, even if you used guy wires on it. I have a 25 ft. telescoping flag pole that has my Davis Anemometer on it, and it has a little bit sway in it when it is very windy.

Back