What to Do Next

Hi my name is Kade Illian and I live in Central Texas. I am 13 years old and have had a passion for extreme weather since an early age. Recently, I have read Meteorology Today 9th edition and have been watching numerous weather related YouTube channels. In two years I will be able to get my drivers permit and my parents and I have worked out a deal to allow me to storm chase in parts of the summer. Right now I have multiple problems regarding whether or not if I will be able to be a safe chaser or if I will be able to chase at all do to these difficulties.

1. I have calculated for me to be able to buy a camera, wifi plan, truck, and other miscellaneous items it will be around $10,000 (All funded by myself).
2. I have a lacking understanding of how to appropriately chase.
3. I have not been able to find any local storm chasers near the Waco area.

I consider myself to be a fast learner and someone that can learn about anything I challenge myself to. I just do not know what to do next. How will I be able to make $10,000 in the next 2-3 years? How will I be able to chase safely by myself? Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do/learn next?
Regards,
Kade Illian

First off its great to get into weather at such a young age. However before you consider going storm chasing (safely), you should probably put in quite a bit of research into how things work. It sounds like you have already done some reading which is awesome, I'd consider purchasing Tim Vasquez's severe weather forecasting book off Amazon. Its about 50 bucks, but from a weather forecasting standpoint, its really good. In addition, you could do some online searches and find quite a bit of free information on how supercells and tornadoes work. This type of knowledge will be key when it comes to actually chasing storms, because without it, you won't really know what to look for, or how to position yourself to be successful. I would say focus on this before you focus on anything else.

As for the $$$ aspect of things, you don't need the latest, greatest, or nicest vehicle to get started. Something that runs will work and will get you from point A to point B safely. Same goes for cameras and other gear. There are lots of pieces of used equipment online for cheap these days and you can generally find a standard camcorder for ~100 bucks as well, for what you are going to use it for. So as for your 10,000 dollar figure, I don't think you need anything close to that honestly. Just look for a part-time job making some money and start saving and you should be well on the way to getting started. You are pretty young, so you have quite a bit of time to get things straightened out before you start a chase career. Good luck and best wishes!

Hi Kade!

As someone very new myself (and also chasing on a tight budget), I figure I'd reply with what I've found that has helped me, both to be successful (sometimes) and to fit a chase around a limited budget. I'll try to address some of your points directly.

First, you mentioned that you've been watching numerous weather related Youtube videos. Which ones? Many Youtube videos I've seen are fun to watch as far as cool looking tornadoes or supercells. Some even give me ideas for video editing of my own future uploads. I found many of them are just excited people screaming "WEDGE!", which didn't help me much personally. :)

Personally I found Skip Talbot's videos very helpful for trying to get in the mindset of the decisions I'd need to make while on the road before I'd even chased on the plains. His chasing chronicles have him talking about the forecast of the day, his observations at the time, and why he made the decisions he did (plus the dome camera was just plain cool). Additionally, his "Storm Spotting Secrets" and "Safety Lessons from El Reno" videos were very informative; the former for identifying key storm structure and the latter to help reinforce the need to keep situational awareness at all times, and to have an escape plan ready BEFORE you get in trouble.

I can't stress this last one enough. I was stupid and lost track of storm movement on the 16th of this month, and a baseball sized hailstone smashed my driver side mirror. Hyundai wants $200 just for the part (I'm ordering it online and fixing it myself for much less). This is a fairly light example of what happens when you wander into a part of the storm you shouldn't because you were distracted. It certainly is going to impact my chasing budget for the rest of the year.

Here's another question you might want to ask yourself. Is it more important to chase/see a tornado, or do you have to have high quality pictures/video with it?

I've started this year chasing with my iPhone as my all-in-one camera. I have an old Samsung Galaxy S5 phone I've been using as a dashcam (with some mixed results), but it's actually given me some surprisingly good HD video for timelapses.

I'd love to get a nice camera someday, and it's something working towards. But being able to chase now without waiting to own a fancy DSLR camera has given me a ton of experience that will help me going forward. If you have a decent cell phone or if you can get an older one cheaply, that might help you start earlier.

Which brings me to vehicles. You mention that you want a truck. Trucks almost universally get worse gas mileage than cars. I've been thinking about getting a truck for a year now, but I have to admit being able to get 28+ miles to the gallon in my little Hyundai makes chasing way more affordable. I'll also throw in that if you're planning on buying a car and chasing in it, make sure you don't mind it getting beaten up by hail occasionally. It's going to happen.

I'm going to wind down here by trying to address one last thing you mentioned; chasing safely alone.

Chasing alone involves a lot of distraction and road fatigue. For me, this involves the occasional radar check on my tablet, quickly checking road options, watching the sky, AND all of the other normal things that you have to do on the road. I try to stop and pull off the road for these things most of the time as most chasers probably do (I hope), but sometimes it's tempting to sneak a look. This is risky. I could try to say that I've been driving for a pretty long time now and therefore it isn't much of an issue. But I think if anything, it means I should know better not to do it. Highway accidents are far more dangerous than the storms we chase..

For a new driver, I imagine that it would be much harder to juggle these things alone. I would highly recommend a chase partner to start out with. If nothing else it's nice to trade off driving and share expenses (budget!). As far as finding local chasers I have no good secret for that. I keep finding them in random fields though when I'm out so that might be a good start. :)

As far as earning money at your age? I got nothing; sorry man. I was 15 when I started working at my first job lifeguarding. Building credit will help you with an auto loan but I'm not sure about age limits for qualification.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Hi my name is Kade Illian and I live in Central Texas. I am 13 years old and have had a passion for extreme weather since an early age. Recently, I have read Meteorology Today 9th edition and have been watching numerous weather related YouTube channels. In two years I will be able to get my drivers permit and my parents and I have worked out a deal to allow me to storm chase in parts of the summer. Right now I have multiple problems regarding whether or not if I will be able to be a safe chaser or if I will be able to chase at all do to these difficulties.

1. I have calculated for me to be able to buy a camera, wifi plan, truck, and other miscellaneous items it will be around $10,000 (All funded by myself).

I consider myself to be a fast learner and someone that can learn about anything I challenge myself to. I just do not know what to do next. How will I be able to make $10,000 in the next 2-3 years? How will I be able to chase safely by myself? Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do/learn next?
Regards,
Kade Illian

My suggestions. If you want to chase, before you can ever think about being the driver, you need to be the forecaster and the navigator. Try and partner up with someone who is an experienced chaser and forecaster, and sit in on their chases, with your parents' permission, of course. This would also be a good time to practice your photography skills and situational awareness. And I'm sure there is someone in your area who's willing to let you pitch in for gas money.

I wouldn't want anyone under the age of 21 chasing as both forecaster and driver, as chasing requires you to be not just a good forecaster, but also an experienced and aware driver, something that will take years to learn. Gaining experience as co-pilot learning the roads in the area you'll be chasing, the rules of the road and the rules of the chaser would be very valuable to you. I spent my first year chasing as a co-pilot, and I learned a tremendous amount from it. Today when I chase, I rarely drive, and I'm usually again in that co-pilot position so that I can focus on the task at hand and not having to worry about multi-tasking and missing something (either on the road or on the radar).

I've always considered chasing a team-sport, so before you go out to be a chaser by yourself, learn to become part of a team.

Thanks to everybody! I have been watching some of Skip Talbot's videos and I will definitely consider Tim Vasquez's severe weather forecasting book. I also appreciate the chasing with a team tips and the different problems you may encounter while you are driving.

Regards,
Kade Illian
I've had a passion for extreme weather ever since I was 3, I didn't really study it much until I found this forum, I'm 15 now and I have learned a lot from this forum alone, along with taking online classes (forgot the website they are on) and in general just teaching myself in a way along with the help of others on this forum. I haven't and wouldn't even worry about a truck or a camera until you know how to appropriately chase and have been at a SkyWarn/First Aid (if you want to be) or a HAM radio class (again, if you want to be that kind of chaser). Like people have already said, don't be a driver, be a forecaster and navigator, that is the best way to learn, make sure the person driving is over 21 and experienced in meteorology/weather. Being a navigator means you will probably be under intense stress at points and that's another thing you'll just have to learn how to cope with. Good luck and let any of us know if you have any questions! :)

Alright I have another question. Ethan mentioned before that I don't need a $10,000 set-up to chase which is probably true ,but if someone would take a look at this Excell document and tell me if there is anything I can cut out I would be thankful. The goal of buying a truck over a car is that I would be able to buy a shell for the back of the truck and sleep on an air mattresses. I would still have to stay in a motel every 2-3 nights so I can shower and things like that. I also would like to be able to sell some video and photos to try and balance out the costs of gas, food, and mobile internet.
upload_2016-5-24_11-27-11.png

That is a huge investment. Start small like the people above have mentioned. I like to enjoy chasing, so I will go out with a single camcorder and my tablet for radar. I don't like getting too close to the storms and I try to avoid the huge crowds. I recommend just starting with GRLEVEL3 and not ANALYST right away. Plus ANALYST is a huge data hog and might be difficult to use in areas with burdened cell towers or secluded areas without service.

Alright I have another question. Ethan mentioned before that I don't need a $10,000 set-up to chase which is probably true ,but if someone would take a look at this Excell document and tell me if there is anything I can cut out I would be thankful. The goal of buying a truck over a car is that I would be able to buy a shell for the back of the truck and sleep on an air mattresses. I would still have to stay in a motel every 2-3 nights so I can shower and things like that. I also would like to be able to sell some video and photos to try and balance out the costs of gas, food, and mobile internet.
View attachment 13625
$10,700 (rounded) holy crap, remember you don't need everything at once. Start off easy, you could also buy a decent sized minivan and make sure either the seats fold down or just have the back seats taken out period and throw a small air mattress in there, everything doesn't have to be top of the line either, some people can afford top of the line equipment, however, most can't, and that's okay, I know for a fact I won't be able to have top of the line equipment and I'm perfectly fine with that. If you know you want top of the line equipment, then try to find a job (which you probably won't until you are 16 or 17, I know I haven't found one at 15) make sure that job has a somewhat decent hourly wage and stay with it, whether you like it or not, teach yourself how to manage the stress you are under as you will need to manage the intense stress you will be under at times chasing. For the photo and video aspect, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A WATERMARK ON ALL OF THE PICTURES YOU TAKE!!! If you don't, people can and will steal them and claim them as their own, and you don't want that. There are multiple different people you can ask to sell your videos or photos (Brett Adair (Live Storms Media) and others) Good luck and I'm sure I missed a lot of key information which other people will probably add later on! :)

Thank you John Olexa. I actually took one of these classes back in April, but after looking at the link I saw there where advanced classes to which I have not attended yet. Thanks again.

Back