What is the best handheld weather radio?

Tlbogenpohl

Hi all,

I am new to the forum. My wife and I enjoy storm chasing, her more than me, and I would like to get her a handheld weather radio that she can take with her. I have been google searching like crazy and am finding several different models with different options, but thought I would pose the question on here to see what input that I could get from active storm chasers.

From what I have gathered so far, I want something that will get all NOAA channels, has SAME technology, and receives local fire and police channels. Handheld, with ac/dc charging capability. I would also like the unit to be able to communicate with cb radio, since i have on on my trail rig.

Any and all opinions will be appreciated, and thanks in advance for the suggestions!

--------------
------------
----------
--------
------
-----
----
--
-

Heck,just about any scanner /CB or handheld scanners have a weather channel that picks up NOAA. After finding the right frequencies your all set. I have a Cobra 21 LTD WX CB & Uniden Bearcat BC350A scanner. Both pick up NOAA frequencies. As for handheld, I have heard good things about the The Midland WR-300
This might help you some.
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/nwrrcvr.htm

The WR-300 won't pick up the local police & fire channels.

And no scanner will monitor for SAME codes while scanning. You have to dedicate the scanner to weather mode, and therefore miss out on scanning (unless you want it to stop on all weather alerts for all counties.)

Best bet is to go with a separate scanner & wx radio.

I did a lot more research last night and found the Cobra MR HH425LI VP Handheld VHF/GMRS Radio. Seems to have everything I am looking for. The reviews were mostly about how good the radio was and did not focus on the wx radio functions, but worse case scenario, we have a new b.a. scanner/radio.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give updated on how it works out.

Uniden's Bearcat has been my #1 tool since 1998. You might not get local PD/FD and whatnot, but experience has taught me those aren't needed on chase day. NOAA wx, HAM nets, and the live NWSFO feed is all I need.

HAve you thought of reprogramming a MINITOR III or IV firepager for weather.
I have a Minitor II and a III the II is crystal and tone reed. the III is Computer programmed, you just enter 1049.7 for the tone frequency.

Also you all are talking of using a scanner, you are aware of the scanner laws for you area right? just checking

Not in every state :)

This is correct, I have not checked lately, but last I knew New York was one of the states where you could not have a scanner even if you are a ham.
I am not sure what states do not if someone has a link they could share that would be great

Back