What are you using to mount your home weather station?

I apologize if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find what I was looking for in the search function.

I am gifting myself a home weather station for Christmas this year. I have chosen a far corner of the yard, and will use the sturdy corner fence post as a main anchor. The issue I am having is with the mast. I plan to have it around 12 ft tall, with the weather station perched at the top. Most weather stations are designed to mount on a pole between 1" and 2" in diameter. My concern is that using the wrong material will cause the pole to sway back and forth in the wind with the weight of the weather station at the top. The pole will be set into the ground several inches, and the only other support would be the first 4 ft, as that is where I will have it clamped to the fence post. Guy wires aren't really an option for me, as I could only get 2 that stay within my property. The 3rd would be outside my fence line, and living on an Air Force base that would be a no go. I say all of that to ask, what material have y'all used, or would recommend, that would be stable at 12 ft with a weather station on top, not supported by guy wires? Thanks for any insight!

Back